The benefits of hypopharyngeal packing in nasal surgery: a pilot study.
AffiliationDepartment of ENT, South Infirmary and Victoria Hospital, Old Blackrock Road,, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHAntiemetics/*administration & dosage
Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting/*prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):181-3. Epub 2010 Nov 26.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Hypopharyngeal packs are used in nasal surgery to reduce the risk of aspiration and postoperative nausea and vomiting. Side effects associated with their use range from throat pain to retained packs postoperatively. AIM: To evaluate, as a pilot study, postoperative nausea/vomiting and throat pain scores for patients undergoing nasal surgery in whom a wet or dry hypopharyngeal pack was placed compared with patients who received no packing. METHODS: A randomized, double-blind prospective trial in a general ENT unit. RESULTS: The study failed to show a statistically significant difference between the three groups in terms of their postoperative nausea/vomiting and throat pain scores at 2 and 6 h postoperatively. This is the first study in which dry packs have been compared with wet and absent packs. CONCLUSION: Based on our findings, the authors recommend against placing hypopharyngeal packs for the purpose of preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting.
- Nasopharyngeal versus hypopharyngeal packing during sino-nasal surgeries: Randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Alfiky MG, Margalani OA, Rajeh AF, Alghamdi FE, Abu Suliman OA, Muathen SH, Elmorsy SA
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Effect of chlorhexidine/benzydamine soaked pharyngeal packing on throat pain and postoperative nausea & vomiting in orthognathic surgery.
- Authors: Vural Ç, Yurttutan ME, Sancak KT, Tüzüner AM
- Issue date: 2019 Dec
- Use of pharyngeal packs in functional endoscopic sinus surgery: A randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Green R, Konuthula N, Sobrero M, Saini A, Parasher A, Pool C, Levine AI, DeMaria S, Tufts R, Govindaraj S, Iloreta AM
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Effectiveness of hypopharyngeal packing during nasal and sinus surgery in the prevention of PONV.
- Authors: Piltcher O, Lavinsky M, Lavinsky J, de Oliveira Basso PR
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- The efficacy of pharyngeal packing during routine nasal surgery--a prospective randomised controlled study.
- Authors: Basha SI, McCoy E, Ullah R, Kinsella JB
- Issue date: 2006 Dec