AffiliationDepartment of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, South Infirmary Victoria, University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve/*pathology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLaryngoscope. 2011 Nov;121(11):2335-7. doi: 10.1002/lary.22188. Epub 2011 Sep 5.
AbstractOBJECTIVE: The Tubercle of Zuckerkandl (TZ), which is the remant of the lateral thyroid process, is an important anatomic structure that serves as a reliable landmark for the recurrent laryngeal nerve in thyroid surgery. Furthermore, removal of the TZ is critical for the adequate performance of a total thyroidectomy. However, there is little mention of the TZ in surgical textbooks or papers. METHODS: Prospective observational study of 138 consecutive thyroid surgeries. The presence of the TZ, its size, and relationship to the recurrent laryngeal nerve, were recorded. RESULTS: A total of 211 thyroid lobes were included in the study. The TZ was identified in 61.1% of all thyroid lobes. The median size was 8 mm (range = 3-40 mm). A TZ was more commonly identified on the right (69.6%) than on the left side (53.2%) (P = .02). The recurrent laryngeal nerve was found deep to the TZ in 98.4% of cases. CONCLUSIONS: A TZ is present in the majority of thyroid lobes. Awareness of the TZ is critical in performing an adequate total thyroidectomy, and is very useful as a landmark for the recurrent laryngeal nerve.
- Incidence and importance of the tubercle of Zuckerkandl in thyroid surgery.
- Authors: Gauger PG, Delbridge LW, Thompson NW, Crummer P, Reeve TS
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Topography of the recurrent laryngeal nerve in relation to the thyroid artery, Zuckerkandl tubercle, and Berry ligament in Kenyans.
- Authors: Kaisha W, Wobenjo A, Saidi H
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- [The lobe of Zuckerkandl: an important sign of recurrent laryngeal nerve].
- Authors: Costanzo M, Caruso LA, Veroux M, Messina DC, Marziani A, Cannizzaro MA
- Issue date: 2005 Jul-Aug
- Thyroid tubercle of Zuckerkandl: anatomical and surgical experience from 79 thyroidectomies.
- Authors: Page C, Cuvelier P, Biet A, Boute P, Laude M, Strunski V
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Thyroid tubercle of zuckerkandl is more consistently present and larger on the right: a prospective series.
- Authors: Mehanna R, Murphy MS, Sheahan P
- Issue date: 2014 Mar