Improved malignant melanoma prognosis at a consultant-delivered multidisciplinary pigmented lesion clinic in Cork.
AffiliationDermatology Department, South Infirmary-Victoria University Hospital, Old, Blackrock Road, Cork. email@example.com
Ambulatory Care Facilities/*statistics & numerical data
Referral and Consultation/organization & administration
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2010 Feb;103(2):40-3.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractEarly detection and excision is the only effective treatment for malignant melanoma. To assess the effect of a consultant-delivered, rapid-access pigmented lesion clinic (PLC) established at the South Infirmary-Victoria University Hospital (SIVUH), we analyzed melanoma tumour-stage prior to (1998-2002) and after (2003-2007) the advent of the PLC. Patients attending SIVUH had a greater proportion of early-stage tumours (65.3%) compared to the rest of Cork (51.2%), County Cork as a whole (56.7%) and all of Ireland (57.4%). The proportion of SIVUH males with early-stage tumours was statistically significantly higher than the rest of County Cork (chi2 = 11.23, P < 0.05). The proportion of patients > 50y with early-stage tumours was also statistically significantly higher than the rest of County Cork (chi2 = 18.88, P < 0.05), the whole of County Cork (chi2 = 7.84, P < 0.05) and all of Ireland (chi2 = 9.67, P < 0.05). We believe that the early detection and improved prognosis of Cork melanoma patients is at least partly due to the PLC.
- Use of an early-detection strategy to improve disease control in melanoma patients.
- Authors: Pacifico MD, Grover R, Sanders R
- Issue date: 2004 Mar
- Effect of health care delivery models on melanoma thickness and stage in a university-based referral center: an observational pilot study.
- Authors: Swetter SM, Soon S, Harrington CR, Chen SC
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- [Survival analysis in patients with cutaneous malignant melanoma].
- Authors: Radović-Kovacević V, Pekmezović T, Adanja B, Jarebinski M, Marinković J, Tomin R
- Issue date: 1997 May-Jun
- Pathology review of thin melanoma and melanoma in situ in a multidisciplinary melanoma clinic: impact on treatment decisions.
- Authors: Santillan AA, Messina JL, Marzban SS, Crespo G, Sondak VK, Zager JS
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 20
- Improving the early detection of malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Grover R, Ross DA, McKelvie M, Morgan BD
- Issue date: 1996 May