Antegrade deligation of iatrogenic distal ureteric obstruction utilising a high pressure balloon dilatation technique.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Hemostatic Techniques/adverse effects
Mixed Tumor, Mullerian/surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationGynecol Oncol. 2009 Sep;114(3):538-9. Epub 2009 May 29.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Iatrogenic trauma is the leading cause of ureteric injury with an incidence in abdominal and pelvic surgery varying between 0.4 and 2.5%. CASE: We report a case of ureteric obstruction caused by a haemostatic clip. There was associated rupture of the ureter proximal to the clip with intra-peritoneal leakage of urine. The patient was unfit for surgery and was managed by a novel procedure of endoluminal balloon deligation. CONCLUSION: Ureteric injuries are rare but potentially serious complications. They require prompt diagnosis and management depends on the patients' clinical condition, extent of injury and interval from injury to diagnosis. We have successfully demonstrated a new technique to treat ureteric obstruction caused by a haemostatic clip with associated ureteral rupture in a patient unfit for surgery.
- Ureteroplasty with a cutting balloon: a novel approach to ureteric anastomotic strictures.
- Authors: Steiner D, Johns-Putra L, Lyon S
- Issue date: 2007 Apr
- Management of ureteral obstruction due to advanced malignancy: optimizing therapeutic and palliative outcomes.
- Authors: Kouba E, Wallen EM, Pruthi RS
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Crossing ureteric strictures: microcatheters to the rescue when conventional methods fail.
- Authors: Keeling AN, Lee MJ
- Issue date: 2007 Nov-Dec
- Endo-balloon rupture and stenting for pelvic-ureteric junction obstruction.
- Authors: Lavelle MA
- Issue date: 1994 Oct
- Causes of renal forniceal rupture.
- Authors: Gershman B, Kulkarni N, Sahani DV, Eisner BH
- Issue date: 2011 Dec