Increased occurrence of cardiovascular events and comorbidities in a general rheumatology cohort.
AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Cork,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Body Mass Index
Coronary Artery Disease/epidemiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Jun;179(2):273-6. Epub 2010 Feb 26.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: To identify cardiovascular and other comorbidities in a general rheumatology cohort. METHODS: Interviews/retrospective chart audits were conducted on 1,000 patients attending rheumatology outpatient clinics of a university teaching hospital. Comorbidities were classified using the Charlson comorbidity index (Ambrose et al. in Ir J Med Sci 178(1):53-55, 2009). RESULTS: Mean age 58 +/- 15.3 years, mean BMI 26. Of the patients, 400 (40%) were diagnosed with dyslipidemia and hypertension (p = 0.002), 160 (16%) with obesity and 80 (8%) with hypothyroidism. Overall 160 (16%) patients were diagnosed with coronary heart disease (CHD). Of these, 120 (75%) had RA (p = 0.001), 100 (63%) were male, mean age 60 +/- 15.8 years, 120 (75%) had dyslipidemia and BMI > 30 (p = 0.002), 112 (70%) were smokers (p = 0.002), 40 (25%) were diagnosed with diabetes mellitus and 20 (12%) with hypothyroidism. CONCLUSIONS: The increased prevalence of these comorbidities may serve as a reminder to the rheumatologists that many of their patients will have coexistent disease of which they need to be aware to properly plan their management.
- Cardiovascular morbidity and associated risk factors in Spanish patients with chronic inflammatory rheumatic diseases attending rheumatology clinics: Baseline data of the CARMA Project.
- Authors: Castañeda S, Martín-Martínez MA, González-Juanatey C, Llorca J, García-Yébenes MJ, Pérez-Vicente S, Sánchez-Costa JT, Díaz-Gonzalez F, González-Gay MA, CARMA Project Collaborative Group.
- Issue date: 2015 Jun
- Cardiovascular death in rheumatoid arthritis: a population-based study.
- Authors: Maradit-Kremers H, Nicola PJ, Crowson CS, Ballman KV, Gabriel SE
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Prevalence of comorbidities in systemic sclerosis versus rheumatoid arthritis: a comparative, multicenter, matched-cohort study.
- Authors: Panopoulos S, Tektonidou M, Drosos AA, Liossis SN, Dimitroulas T, Garyfallos A, Sakkas L, Boumpas D, Voulgari PV, Daoussis D, Thomas K, Georgiopoulos G, Vosvotekas G, Vassilopoulos D, Sfikakis PP
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 4
- Five-year incidence of common comorbidities, such as hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular disease, cerebrovascular disease and cancer, in older Japanese patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Authors: Mochizuki T, Ikari K, Yano K, Okazaki K
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- Increased cardiovascular risk factors in different rheumatic diseases compared with the general population.
- Authors: Meek IL, Picavet HS, Vonkeman HE, Verschuren WM, van de Laar MA
- Issue date: 2013 Jan