AuthorsO'Sullivan, E P
De Faoite, T
Walsh, C H
AffiliationDepartment of Diabetes and Endocrinology, South Infirmary Victoria University, Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
MeSHCardiovascular Diseases/*epidemiology/prevention & control
Diabetic Cardiomyopathies/*epidemiology/prevention & control
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Dec;178(4):401-6.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Patients' awareness of the increased cardiovascular risk associated with their diabetes is poorly documented. AIM: The aim of this study was to assess the awareness of diabetes complications among patients with diabetes in Ireland. METHODS: Patients attending diabetes outpatient clinics in two teaching hospitals in different regions of the country were invited to complete a questionnaire. RESULTS: A total of 258 (59.3% male) patients completed the questionnaire; mean age 57.8 years. On questioning, 53.5% reported cardiovascular disease as a potential complication of diabetes, with awareness rates of 61.2, 17.1, 16.3 and 12% for retinopathy, stroke, peripheral vascular disease and amputation, respectively. Disappointingly, less than half of respondents felt that improvements in diet and exercise could potentially reduce their cardiovascular risk. CONCLUSIONS: Awareness of cardiovascular risk and knowledge of effective measures to reduce this were low in our study and an alternative means of education may need to be considered.
- Peripheral artery disease: a marked lack of awareness in Ireland.
- Authors: Cronin CT, McCartan DP, McMonagle M, Cross KS, Dowdall JF
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Egg consumption and cardiovascular disease according to diabetic status: The PREDIMED study.
- Authors: Díez-Espino J, Basterra-Gortari FJ, Salas-Salvadó J, Buil-Cosiales P, Corella D, Schröder H, Estruch R, Ros E, Gómez-Gracia E, Arós F, Fiol M, Lapetra J, Serra-Majem L, Pintó X, Babio N, Quiles L, Fito M, Marti A, Toledo E, PREDIMED Investigators.
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Brain complications of diabetes mellitus: a cross-sectional study of awareness among individuals with diabetes and the general population in Ireland.
- Authors: Dolan C, Glynn R, Griffin S, Conroy C, Loftus C, Wiehe PC, Healy ML, Lawlor B
- Issue date: 2018 Jul
- Cardiovascular diseases and risk factors knowledge and awareness in people with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a global evaluation.
- Authors: Saeedi P, Karuranga S, Hammond L, Kaundal A, Malanda B, Prystupiuk M, Matos P
- Issue date: 2020 Jul
- Correlates for cardiovascular diseases among diabetic/hypertensive patients attending outreach clinics in two Nairobi slums, Kenya.
- Authors: Mugure G, Karama M, Kyobutungi C, Karanja S
- Issue date: 2014