AuthorsO'Sullivan, E P
De Faoite, T
Walsh, C H
AffiliationDepartment of Diabetes and Endocrinology, South Infirmary Victoria University, Hospital, Cork, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
MeSHCardiovascular Diseases/*epidemiology/prevention & control
Diabetic Cardiomyopathies/*epidemiology/prevention & control
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Dec;178(4):401-6.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Patients' awareness of the increased cardiovascular risk associated with their diabetes is poorly documented. AIM: The aim of this study was to assess the awareness of diabetes complications among patients with diabetes in Ireland. METHODS: Patients attending diabetes outpatient clinics in two teaching hospitals in different regions of the country were invited to complete a questionnaire. RESULTS: A total of 258 (59.3% male) patients completed the questionnaire; mean age 57.8 years. On questioning, 53.5% reported cardiovascular disease as a potential complication of diabetes, with awareness rates of 61.2, 17.1, 16.3 and 12% for retinopathy, stroke, peripheral vascular disease and amputation, respectively. Disappointingly, less than half of respondents felt that improvements in diet and exercise could potentially reduce their cardiovascular risk. CONCLUSIONS: Awareness of cardiovascular risk and knowledge of effective measures to reduce this were low in our study and an alternative means of education may need to be considered.
- Peripheral artery disease: a marked lack of awareness in Ireland.
- Authors: Cronin CT, McCartan DP, McMonagle M, Cross KS, Dowdall JF
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Prevalence, awareness, and management of CKD and cardiovascular risk factors in publicly funded health care.
- Authors: Verhave JC, Troyanov S, Mongeau F, Fradette L, Bouchard J, Awadalla P, Madore F
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Racial disparities in cardiovascular risk factor control in an underinsured population with Type 2 diabetes.
- Authors: Wang Y, Katzmarzyk PT, Horswell R, Zhao W, Li W, Johnson J, Ryan DH, Hu G
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Awareness, treatment, and control of major cardiovascular risk factors in a small-scale Italian community: results of a screening campaign.
- Authors: Omboni S, Carabelli G, Ghirardi E, Carugo S
- Issue date: 2013
- Regional, age and sex differences in baseline characteristics of patients enrolled in the Trial Evaluating Cardiovascular Outcomes with Sitagliptin (TECOS).
- Authors: Bethel MA, Green JB, Milton J, Tajar A, Engel SS, Califf RM, Holman RR, TECOS Executive Committee.
- Issue date: 2015 Apr