Non-Hodgkin lymphoma presenting as bilateral tonsillar hypertrophy: case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, South Infirmary-Victoria, University Hospital, Cork, Ireland. email@example.com
Lymphoma, Non-Hodgkin/*diagnosis/drug therapy/pathology/radiotherapy
Tonsillar Neoplasms/*diagnosis/drug therapy/pathology/radiotherapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEar Nose Throat J. 2010 Apr;89(4):E4-5.
JournalEar, nose, & throat journal
AbstractWe describe the case of a 57-year-old man who was referred to us with persistent sore throat, dysphagia, and enlarged tonsils. He had not responded to earlier treatment with antibiotic therapy and other routine measures. In view of the persistent nature of the patient's symptoms and the tonsillar hypertrophy, we decided to perform a tonsillectomy and to send the excised specimens for pathologic analysis. Histologic evaluation identified non-Hodgkin lymphoma in both tonsils. The patient was treated with postoperative chemo- and radiotherapy, and he was free of symptoms during 18 months of follow-up. To the best of our knowledge, only 4 cases of bilateral non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the tonsils have been reported in the English-language literature. We also discuss the importance of histologic analysis of excised tonsil tissue in selected cases.
- Malignancy in asymmetrical but otherwise normal palatine tonsils.
- Authors: Oluwasanmi AF, Wood SJ, Baldwin DL, Sipaul F
- Issue date: 2006 Oct
- Clinical and pathological features of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the tonsil. Review of the literature and report of 10 cases.
- Authors: Lugassy G, Hurwitz N, Shtalrid M, Varon D, Marshak G, Berrebi A
- Issue date: 1989 May
- Necessity of routine pathological examination of tonsils.
- Authors: Sodagar R, Mohallatee EA
- Issue date: 1972 Jun
- A case of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma with macroglobulinemia.
- Authors: Abe K, Hori Y, Ohtsu SY, Koike Y
- Issue date: 1996
- Treatment results of tonsillar lymphoma: a 10-year experience.
- Authors: Mohammadianpanah M, Omidvai S, Mosalei A, Ahmadloo N
- Issue date: 2005 Apr