Initial assessment of jaundice in otherwise healthy infants--a comparison of methods in two postnatal units.
AffiliationRotunda Hospital, Parnell Square, Dublin 1. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2010 Nov-Dec;103(10):310-3.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractTranscutaneous bilirubin (TcB) has the potential to reduce total serum bilirubin (TS) sampling. The principal aim of this study was to determine and compare the number of initial TSB samples (TSBs) in two postnatal units (hospitals A & B) whereby hospital A used TcB and hospital B did not. A secondary aim was to determine the clinical factors that led to initial TSBs exceeding exchange transfusion level in both hospitals. Results demonstrated both hospitals had similar populations and patient numbers following selection criteria. 1645 neonates (10.4%) had one or more TSBs performed in hospital A, versus 2373 neonates (15.1%) in hospital B (p < 0.01). Fourteen neonates in hospital A and 3 neonates in hospital B had initial TSBs above exchange transfusion level. For neonates with TSBs above exchange, preventable factors related to earlier testing and follow up. In routine clinical practice, TcB is associated with a significantly reduced number of TSB measurements. TSB levels above exchange transfusion are linked to preventable factors, in otherwise healthy neonates.
- Comparison of two transcutaneous bilirubinometers--Minolta AirShields Jaundice Meter JM103 and Spectrx Bilicheck--in Thai neonates.
- Authors: Sanpavat S, Nuchprayoon I
- Issue date: 2005 Nov
- Validation of a transcutaneous bilirubin meter in Mongolian neonates: comparison with total serum bilirubin.
- Authors: Akahira-Azuma M, Yonemoto N, Ganzorig B, Mori R, Hosokawa S, Matsushita T, Bavuusuren B, Shonkhuuz E
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 27
- Predischarge screening for severe neonatal hyperbilirubinemia identifies infants who need phototherapy.
- Authors: Bhutani VK, Stark AR, Lazzeroni LC, Poland R, Gourley GR, Kazmierczak S, Meloy L, Burgos AE, Hall JY, Stevenson DK, Initial Clinical Testing Evaluation and Risk Assessment for Universal Screening for Hyperbilirubinemia Study Group.
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Bhutani-based nomograms for the prediction of significant hyperbilirubinaemia using transcutaneous measurements of bilirubin.
- Authors: Bental YA, Shiff Y, Dorsht N, Litig E, Tuval L, Mimouni FB
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Transcutaneous bilirubinometry in preterm infants receiving phototherapy.
- Authors: Nanjundaswamy S, Petrova A, Mehta R, Hegyi T
- Issue date: 2005 Apr