Comparison of transversus abdominis plane block vs spinal morphine for pain relief after Caesarean section.
AuthorsMcMorrow, R C N
Ni Mhuircheartaigh, R J
Ahmed, K A
Dowling, J J
Loughrey, J P R
McCaul, C L
AffiliationDepartment of Anesthesia, Rotunda Hospital, Parnell Square, Dublin 1, Ireland.
Analgesia, Obstetrical/adverse effects/*methods
Analgesics, Opioid/*administration & dosage/adverse effects
Antiemetics/administration & dosage
Drug Administration Schedule
Morphine/*administration & dosage/adverse effects
Nerve Block/adverse effects/*methods
Pain, Postoperative/*prevention & control
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Anaesth. 2011 May;106(5):706-12.
JournalBritish journal of anaesthesia
AbstractBACKGROUND: Transversus abdominis plane (TAP) block is an alternative to spinal morphine for analgesia after Caesarean section but there are few data on its comparative efficacy. We compared the analgesic efficacy of the TAP block with and without spinal morphine after Caesarean section in a prospective, randomized, double-blinded placebo-controlled trial. METHODS: Eighty patients were randomized to one of four groups to receive (in addition to spinal anaesthesia) either spinal morphine 100 microg (S(M)) or saline (S(S)) and a postoperative bilateral TAP block with either bupivacaine (T(LA)) 2 mg kg(-1) or saline (T(S)). RESULTS: Pain on movement and early morphine consumption were lowest in groups receiving spinal morphine and was not improved by TAP block. The rank order of median pain scores on movement at 6 h was: S(M)T(LA) (20 mm)
- The analgesic efficacy of subarachnoid morphine in comparison with ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane block after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.
- Authors: Kanazi GE, Aouad MT, Abdallah FW, Khatib MI, Adham AM, Harfoush DW, Siddik-Sayyid SM
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane block for analgesia after Caesarean delivery.
- Authors: Belavy D, Cowlishaw PJ, Howes M, Phillips F
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- A randomised trial of the analgesic efficacy of ultrasound-guided transversus abdominis plane block after caesarean delivery under general anaesthesia.
- Authors: Tan TT, Teoh WH, Woo DC, Ocampo CE, Shah MK, Sia AT
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- A randomized controlled trial comparing intrathecal morphine with transversus abdominis plane block for post-cesarean delivery analgesia.
- Authors: Loane H, Preston R, Douglas MJ, Massey S, Papsdorf M, Tyler J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Ultrasound-guided bilateral transversus abdominis plane blocks in conjunction with intrathecal morphine for postcesarean analgesia.
- Authors: Lee AJ, Palte HD, Chehade JM, Arheart KL, Ranasinghe JS, Penning DH
- Issue date: 2013 Sep