An audit of hospital based outpatient infusions and a pilot program of community-based monoclonal antibody infusions.
AffiliationDepartment of Rheumatology, St Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., email@example.com
Antibodies, Monoclonal/*administration & dosage/economics
Community Health Centers
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Dec;178(4):497-501.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Infliximab, a chimeric monoclonal antibody to tumour necrosis factor alpha, is administered as an intravenous infusion requiring a costly hospital day case or inpatient admission. METHODS: An audit of all current therapies given by intravenous infusions in an outpatient setting in St Vincent's University Hospital (SVUH) was undertaken. Furthermore, in conjunction with TCP homecare, we established in a general practise health clinic, the first Irish community infusion centre for the administration of infliximab in August 2006. RESULTS: All outpatient departments indicated that they would favour a centralized hospital infusion unit. There were no adverse events and the mean global satisfaction improved in the community infliximab infusion pilot programme of seven patients. CONCLUSION: This study suggests efficiencies in providing centralized infusion facilities, while the community based infusion of infliximab is feasible and safe in this small cohort and identifies the community infusion unit as a viable and cost efficient alternative for administration of infliximab.
- The safety of infliximab infusions in the community setting.
- Authors: Ducharme J, Pelletier C, Zacharias R
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Infliximab administered with shortened infusion times in a specialized IBD infusion unit: a prospective cohort study.
- Authors: Van Assche G, Vermeire S, Noman M, Amant C, Weyts E, Vleminckx A, Vermeyen MJ, Rutgeerts P
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Short article: Remicade infusions at home: an alternative setting of infliximab therapy for patients with Crohn's disease.
- Authors: Kuin S, Stolte SB, van den Brink GR, Ponsioen CY, Fockens P, D'Haens GR, Löwenberg M
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- A home infliximab infusion program.
- Authors: Condino AA, Fidanza S, Hoffenberg EJ
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- Infliximab for the treatment of psoriasis in the U.K.: 9 years' experience of infusion reactions at a single centre.
- Authors: Wee JS, Petrof G, Jackson K, Barker JN, Smith CH
- Issue date: 2012 Aug