Doctors' attitudes about prescribing and knowledge of the costs of common medications.
AffiliationDepartment of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery, St Vincent's University, Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland.
MeSH*Attitude of Health Personnel
Clinical Competence/*statistics & numerical data
Health Care Costs
Health Care Surveys
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Hospitals, Teaching/*statistics & numerical data
Physician's Practice Patterns/*statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Sep;178(3):277-80. Epub 2009 Feb 17.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Compliance with medical therapy may be compromised because of the affordability of medications. Inadequate physician knowledge of drug costs may unwittingly contribute to this problem. METHODS: We measured attitudes about prescribing and knowledge of medication costs by written survey of medical and surgical non consultant hospital doctors and consultants in two University teaching hospitals (n = 102). Sixty-eight percent felt the cost of medicines was an important consideration in the prescribing decision, however, 88% often felt unaware of the actual costs. Only 33% had easy access to drug cost data, and only 3% had been formally educated about drug costs. Doctors' estimates of the cost of a supply of ten commonly used medications were accurate in only 12% of cases, too low for 50%, and too high for 38%. CONCLUSIONS: Interventions are needed to educate doctors about drug costs and provide them with reliable, easily accessible cost information in real-world practice.
- Physicians' attitudes about prescribing and knowledge of the costs of common medications.
- Authors: Reichert S, Simon T, Halm EA
- Issue date: 2000 Oct 9
- A study to investigate the factors that influence the prescribing habits of non-consultant hospital doctors in Ireland.
- Authors: Ramasubbu B, Heron M, Ramasubbu R, Murphy P
- Issue date: 2017 May
- Students and Doctors are Unaware of the Cost of Drugs they Frequently Prescribe.
- Authors: Schutte T, Tichelaar J, Nanayakkara P, Richir M, van Agtmael M
- Issue date: 2017 Mar
- Pharmacy students teaching prescribers strategies to lower prescription drug costs for underserved patients.
- Authors: Stebbins MR, Frear ME, Cutler TW, Lightwood JM, Fingado AR, Lai CJ, Lipton HL
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Analysis of knowledge and attitude surveys to identify barriers and enablers of appropriate antimicrobial prescribing in three Australian tertiary hospitals.
- Authors: Chaves NJ, Cheng AC, Runnegar N, Kirschner J, Lee T, Buising K
- Issue date: 2014 Jun