Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung: hazards of delayed diagnosis.
AffiliationDepartmentsof Cardiothoracic Surgery, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, , Ireland.
Cystic Adenomatoid Malformation of Lung,
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRespirology. 2009 Sep;14(7):1058-60.
JournalRespirology (Carlton, Vic.)
AbstractCongenital cystic adenomatoid malformation is a rare pulmonary developmental anomaly, which typically manifests in neonates and infants. Presentation in adulthood is uncommon, with <60 cases reported in the literature. The majority of cases involve one lobe only. We report a case of type 1 congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation in an adult presenting with a respiratory tract infection and haemoptysis. At thoracotomy, complex cystic masses were noted in the right upper and lower lobes. Lung-sparing surgery, in the form of two segmentectomies and a non-anatomical resection, was performed in order to avoid pneumonectomy. Such presentations may be problematic as potentially incomplete resections may increase the risk of complications and malignant transformation. This suggests the importance of appropriate clinical and radiological follow up.
- Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of lung.
- Authors: West D, Nicholson AG, Colquhoun I, Pollock J
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Malignancy of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of lung in aged.
- Authors: Benouaich V, Marcheix B, Begueret H, Brouchet L, Velly JF, Jougon J
- Issue date: 2009 Dec
- Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma arising in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation in a child: a case report and review on malignancies originating in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation.
- Authors: Granata C, Gambini C, Balducci T, Toma P, Michelazzi A, Conte M, Jasonni V
- Issue date: 1998 Jan
- Cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung presenting in adulthood.
- Authors: Herrero Y, Pinilla I, Torres I, Nistal M, Pardo M, Gómez N
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- [Cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung in an adult].
- Authors: Vicidomini G, Santini M, Baldi A, Cesarano T, Di Marino MP, Baldi F
- Issue date: 1997 Apr