Cardiac carcinoid: tricuspid delayed hyperenhancement on cardiac 64-slice multidetector CT and magnetic resonance imaging.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., email@example.com
Carcinoid Heart Disease/*diagnosis
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Cine
Radiographic Image Enhancement
Tomography, X-Ray Computed/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2010 Sep;179(3):447-9. Epub 2009 Jan 22.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Carcinoid heart disease is a rare condition in adults. Its diagnosis can be easily missed in a patient presenting to a primary care setting. We revised the advantages of using coronary multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in diagnosing this condition. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We studied a 65-year-old patient with carcinoid heart disease and right heart failure using transthoracic Doppler-echocardiogram, cardiac MDCT and MRI. Cardiac echocardiogram revealed marked thickening and retraction of the tricuspid leaflets with dilated right atrium and ventricle. Cardiac MDCT and MRI demonstrated fixation and retraction of the tricuspid leaflets with delayed contrast hyperenhancement of the tricuspid annulus. CONCLUSION: This case demonstrates fascinating imaging findings of cardiac carcinoid disease and highlights the increasing utility of contrast-enhanced MRI and cardiac MDCT in the diagnosis of this interesting condition.
- MRI and CT revealing carcinoid heart disease.
- Authors: Mollet NR, Dymarkowski S, Bogaert J
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Carcinoid heart disease: typical findings on echocardiography and cardiac magnetic resonance.
- Authors: Moerman VM, Dewilde D, Hermans K
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Evaluation of carcinoid heart disease using delayed enhancement imaging.
- Authors: Hrabak-Paar M, Stern-Padovan R
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Magnetic resonance imaging diagnosis of carcinoid heart disease.
- Authors: Bastarrika G, Cao MG, Cano D, Barba J, de Buruaga JD
- Issue date: 2005 Nov-Dec
- MR and CT diagnosis of carcinoid heart disease.
- Authors: Mirowitz SA, Gutierrez FR
- Issue date: 1993 Feb