Use of molecular markers for predicting therapy response in cancer patients.
AffiliationDepartment of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, St. Vincent's University, Hospital, Dublin, Ireland. Michael.J.Duffy@ucd.ie
MeSHAntibodies, Monoclonal/therapeutic use
Antibodies, Monoclonal, Humanized
Breast Neoplasms/chemistry/*drug therapy/genetics
Cytochrome P-450 CYP2D6/genetics
Receptor, Epidermal Growth Factor/analysis/genetics
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCancer Treat Rev. 2011 Apr;37(2):151-9. Epub 2010 Aug 3.
JournalCancer treatment reviews
AbstractPredictive markers are factors that are associated with upfront response or resistance to a particular therapy. Predictive markers are important in oncology as tumors of the same tissue of origin vary widely in their response to most available systemic therapies. Currently recommended oncological predictive markers include both estrogen and progesterone receptors for identifying patients with breast cancers likely to benefit from hormone therapy, HER-2 for the identification of breast cancer patients likely to benefit from trastuzumab, specific K-RAS mutations for the identification of patients with advanced colorectal cancer unlikely to benefit from either cetuximab or panitumumab and specific EGFR mutations for selecting patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer for treatment with tyrosine kinase inhibitors such as gefitinib and erlotinib. The availability of predictive markers should increase drug efficacy and decrease toxicity, thus leading to a more personalized approach to cancer treatment.
- Biomarkers for personalized oncology: recent advances and future challenges.
- Authors: Kalia M
- Issue date: 2015 Mar
- Personalized medicine in non-small-cell lung cancer: is KRAS a useful marker in selecting patients for epidermal growth factor receptor-targeted therapy?
- Authors: Roberts PJ, Stinchcombe TE, Der CJ, Socinski MA
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 1
- Lack of evidence for KRAS oncogenic mutations in triple-negative breast cancer.
- Authors: Sánchez-Muñoz A, Gallego E, de Luque V, Pérez-Rivas LG, Vicioso L, Ribelles N, Lozano J, Alba E
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 13
- Companion biomarkers: paving the pathway to personalized treatment for cancer.
- Authors: Duffy MJ, Crown J
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Analysis of potential predictive markers of cetuximab benefit in BMS099, a phase III study of cetuximab and first-line taxane/carboplatin in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Khambata-Ford S, Harbison CT, Hart LL, Awad M, Xu LA, Horak CE, Dakhil S, Hermann RC, Lynch TJ, Weber MR
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 20