Profiling B-type natriuretic peptide in a stable heart failure population: a valuable adjunct to care.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, Heart Failure Unit, St. Vincent's University Hospital, and University College Dublin, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Natriuretic Peptide, Brain/*blood
Predictive Value of Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):355-62. Epub 2011 Mar 3.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To examine the prognostic importance of absolute values and change in values of BNP in patients with stable heart failure (HF). METHODS: Five-hundred and fifty-nine patients attending a disease management programme were categorized into tertiles of BNP (group 1; /= 250 pg/ml). A change in BNP between two stable visits was recorded. Patients were followed up for 1 year for death and a composite morbidity measure of HF hospitalization, all-cause hospitalization, unscheduled visits for clinical deterioration(UC) of HF using survival analysis. RESULTS: The risk of the combined morbidity outcome increased with increasing tertiles of BNP (Log rank = 17.8 (2), p < 0.001). Furthermore, a 50 and 25% increase in BNP predicted morbidity in stable HF patients with an initial BNP > 200 pg/ml (p = 0.02) and > 450 pg/ml (p = 0.03), respectively. CONCLUSION: In a stable community HF population, an elevated BNP or an increase in BNP predicts an adverse prognosis thereby potentially identifying a population in need of closer clinical follow-up.
- B-type natriuretic peptide may predict prognosis in older adults admitted with a diagnosis other than heart failure.
- Authors: Di Marca S, Rando A, Cataudella E, Pulvirenti A, Alaimo S, Terranova V, Corriere T, Pisano M, Di Quattro R, Ronsisvalle ML, Giraffa CM, Giordano M, Stancanelli B, Malatino L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Comparison of BNP and NT-proBNP in Patients With Heart Failure and Reduced Ejection Fraction.
- Authors: Rørth R, Jhund PS, Yilmaz MB, Kristensen SL, Welsh P, Desai AS, Køber L, Prescott MF, Rouleau JL, Solomon SD, Swedberg K, Zile MR, Packer M, McMurray JJV
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Prognostic value of short-term follow-up BNP in hospitalized patients with heart failure.
- Authors: Khanam SS, Son JW, Lee JW, Youn YJ, Yoon J, Lee SH, Kim JY, Ahn SG, Ahn MS, Yoo BS
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 3
- Usefulness of brain natriuretic peptide level at implant in predicting mortality in patients with advanced but stable heart failure receiving cardiac resynchronization therapy.
- Authors: El-Saed A, Voigt A, Shalaby A
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Prognostic value of brain natriuretic peptide vs history of heart failure hospitalization in a large real-world population.
- Authors: Zile MR, Desai AS, Agarwal R, Bharmi R, Dalal N, Adamson PB, Maisel AS
- Issue date: 2020 Dec