Profiling B-type natriuretic peptide in a stable heart failure population: a valuable adjunct to care.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, Heart Failure Unit, St. Vincent's University Hospital, and University College Dublin, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Natriuretic Peptide, Brain/*blood
Predictive Value of Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):355-62. Epub 2011 Mar 3.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To examine the prognostic importance of absolute values and change in values of BNP in patients with stable heart failure (HF). METHODS: Five-hundred and fifty-nine patients attending a disease management programme were categorized into tertiles of BNP (group 1; /= 250 pg/ml). A change in BNP between two stable visits was recorded. Patients were followed up for 1 year for death and a composite morbidity measure of HF hospitalization, all-cause hospitalization, unscheduled visits for clinical deterioration(UC) of HF using survival analysis. RESULTS: The risk of the combined morbidity outcome increased with increasing tertiles of BNP (Log rank = 17.8 (2), p < 0.001). Furthermore, a 50 and 25% increase in BNP predicted morbidity in stable HF patients with an initial BNP > 200 pg/ml (p = 0.02) and > 450 pg/ml (p = 0.03), respectively. CONCLUSION: In a stable community HF population, an elevated BNP or an increase in BNP predicts an adverse prognosis thereby potentially identifying a population in need of closer clinical follow-up.
- Prognostic value of short-term follow-up BNP in hospitalized patients with heart failure.
- Authors: Khanam SS, Son JW, Lee JW, Youn YJ, Yoon J, Lee SH, Kim JY, Ahn SG, Ahn MS, Yoo BS
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 3
- B-type natriuretic peptide may predict prognosis in older adults admitted with a diagnosis other than heart failure.
- Authors: Di Marca S, Rando A, Cataudella E, Pulvirenti A, Alaimo S, Terranova V, Corriere T, Pisano M, Di Quattro R, Ronsisvalle ML, Giraffa CM, Giordano M, Stancanelli B, Malatino L
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Prognostic value of N-terminal pro-type-B natriuretic peptide and Doppler left ventricular diastolic variables in patients with chronic systolic heart failure stabilized by therapy.
- Authors: Dini FL, Conti U, Fontanive P, Andreini D, Panicucci E, De Tommasi SM
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 15
- Prognostic utility of B-type natriuretic peptide assessment in stable low-risk outpatients with nonischemic cardiomyopathy after decompensated heart failure.
- Authors: Nishii M, Inomata T, Takehana H, Naruke T, Yanagisawa T, Moriguchi M, Takeda S, Izumi T
- Issue date: 2008 Jun 17
- B-type natriuretic peptide levels in obese patients with advanced heart failure.
- Authors: Horwich TB, Hamilton MA, Fonarow GC
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 3