Acute peritonitis as the first presentation of valvular cardiomyopathy.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland., email@example.com
Heart Valve Diseases/*complications/diagnosis
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm J Emerg Med. 2012 Jan;30(1):247.e5-6. Epub 2010 Oct 20.
JournalThe American journal of emergency medicine
AbstractValvular cardiomyopathy can present a diagnostic challenge in the absence of overt cardiac symptoms. This report describes the case of a 46-year-old woman who presented with acute peritonitis associated with vomiting and abdominal distension. Subsequent abdominal computed tomography and ultrasound revealed bibasal pleural effusions, ascites, and normal ovaries. An echocardiogram revealed that all cardiac chambers were dilated with a global decrease in contractility and severe mitral, tricuspid, and aortic regurgitation. A diagnosis of cardiomyopathy with acute heart failure, secondary to valvular heart disease, was secured. Acute peritonitis as the presenting feature of valvular cardiomyopathy is a rare clinical entity.
- Valvular heart disease: the influence of changing etiology on nosology.
- Authors: Boudoulas H, Vavuranakis M, Wooley CF
- Issue date: 1994 Sep
- [Two cases of acute lupus peritonitis].
- Authors: Ideguchi H, Misumi M, Inoue Y, Ohkubo T, Tsuji T, Ohno S, Ueda A, Aoki A, Hagiwara E, Shirai A, Mizushima S, Ohno M, Nagaoka S, Ishigatsubo Y
- Issue date: 2000 Dec
- Apical ballooning syndrome complicated by acute severe mitral regurgitation with left ventricular outflow obstruction--case report.
- Authors: Chandrasegaram MD, Celermajer DS, Wilson MK
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 21
- [The best of valvular heart disease in 2006].
- Authors: de Gevigney G, Groupe de travail sur les valvulopathies de la Societe francaise de cardiologi
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- [A case of chronic constrictive pericarditis with rheumatic valvular heart disease successfully treated by surgery].
- Authors: Okabe M, Makino S, Hata H
- Issue date: 1991 Jan