Significant influence of the primary liver disease on the outcomes of hepatic retransplantation.
AffiliationLiver Transplant Unit, St Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Mar;178(1):47-51. Epub 2008 Nov 4.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: There are many indications for hepatic retransplantation. AIM: To identify factors influencing retransplantation needs and outcomes. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Retransplantation records from January 1993 to March 2005 were analysed. Patient and disease characteristics and survival outcomes for retransplantation were compared between various groups. RESULTS: Totally, 286 primary and 42 hepatic retransplantations were performed. Retransplantation indications included primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), primary biliary cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis C (HCV), chronic active hepatitis (CAH), and alcohol-related disease. Mean follow-up post-retransplantation was 31 +/- 9 months. Actuarial patient survival at 3 months, 1 year, 3 years, 5 years, and at the end of study was 71.4, 69, 59.5, 54.7, and 50%, respectively. Early and late retransplantation had 1-year survival of 73 and 68.5%, respectively. Retransplantation need was significantly higher for PSC, HCV, and CAH. CONCLUSIONS: Hepatic retransplantation remains a successful salvage option for transplant complications; however, its need is significantly influenced by the primary liver disease.
- Hepatitis C is a risk factor for death after liver retransplantation.
- Authors: Pelletier SJ, Schaubel DE, Punch JD, Wolfe RA, Port FK, Merion RM
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Retransplantation for end-stage liver disease: a single-center Asian experience.
- Authors: Sun CK, Chen CL, Concejero AM, Wang CC, Wang SH, Liu YW, Yang CH, Yong CC
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- Improved survival outcomes for liver transplantation.
- Authors: Qasim A, McCormick PA, Tajuddin T, Zaman MB, Traynor O, Hegarty J, Geoghegan J
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Outcomes of liver retransplantation in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis.
- Authors: Henson JB, Patel YA, King LY, Zheng J, Chow SC, Muir AJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Predictive factors for survival and score application in liver retransplantation for hepatitis C recurrence.
- Authors: Song AT, Sobesky R, Vinaixa C, Dumortier J, Radenne S, Durand F, Calmus Y, Rousseau G, Latournerie M, Feray C, Delvart V, Roche B, Haim-Boukobza S, Roque-Afonso AM, Castaing D, Abdala E, D'Albuquerque LA, Duclos-Vallée JC, Berenguer M, Samuel D
- Issue date: 2016 May 14