Age-specific incidence of hip fracture in the elderly: a healthy decline.
AffiliationDepartment of Trauma and Orthopaedics, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Analysis of Variance
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurgeon. 2010 Dec;8(6):310-3. Epub 2010 Jul 6.
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractHip fractures in the elderly are an important source of morbidity and mortality. The predicted increase in the number of hip fractures due to the increasing elderly population has not been universally observed. The purpose of this study was to examine the incidence of hip fractures over a twenty year period to determine if this rise is occurring in our region. All hip fractures from the unit over 20 years were identified. Population data for those over 65 in the catchment area of our hospital was acquired. The rate of fractures occurring each year relative to the population was determined. The results were split into age groups. There was a strong correlation between the population rise and number of fractures (p = 0.77). But there was no significant difference in the rate of fracture over time (p = 0.41). However, the average age at which fracture occurred increased by two years. In addition we show the overall trend in the rate of fractures decreases in the younger age groups and increases in the older age groups. Therefore, the predicted rapid increase in rate is not occurring. This probably reflects the strengthening of the economy in Ireland from the 1930's onwards, leading to a healthier population.
- Incidence of hip fracture over a 10-year period (1991-2000): reversal of a secular trend.
- Authors: Chevalley T, Guilley E, Herrmann FR, Hoffmeyer P, Rapin CH, Rizzoli R
- Issue date: 2007 May
- Incidence of hip fractures in Dublin's north inner city.
- Authors: Dodds MK, Codd MB, Looney A, Mulhall KJ
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug
- Nationwide decline in incidence of hip fracture.
- Authors: Kannus P, Niemi S, Parkkari J, Palvanen M, Vuori I, Järvinen M
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- [Proximal femur fractures in the elderly in The Netherlands during the period 1991-2004: incidence, mortality, length of hospital stay and an estimate of the care capacity needed in the future].
- Authors: Saltzherr TP, Borghans HJ, Bakker RH, Go PM
- Issue date: 2006 Nov 25
- Excess mortality in men compared with women following a hip fracture. National analysis of comedications, comorbidity and survival.
- Authors: Kannegaard PN, van der Mark S, Eiken P, Abrahamsen B
- Issue date: 2010 Mar