The "flying" bile duct: avulsion of the common bile duct in a plane crash survivor.
AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Common Bile Duct/*injuries
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Dec;178(4):523-5.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBlunt trauma is an unusual cause of extrahepatic bile duct injury. This is a case of a 51-year-old gentleman who sustained a significant seatbelt injury in a plane crash. Laparotomy, performed due to persistent abdominal pain, revealed that the common bile duct (CBD) was completely avulsed from the duodenum. Following insertion of drains and transfer to a hepatobiliary centre, the devascularised CBD was excised and replaced with a roux-en-y hepaticojejunostomy. Necrotic tissue was debrided from the pancreatic head. A persistent bile leak developed from the sub-hepatic drain. Repeat laparotomy revealed a bile leak from small ducts on the liver surface. Ligation of the ducts and bioglue sealing of the area were successfully performed. Subsequent to this a pancreatic fistula developed from the main pancreatic duct, which has since resolved. This unusual case illustrates the need for prompt recognition and early repair to optimise outcomes in traumatic CBD injury.
- Duodenal rupture with avulsion of the bile duct: an unusual injury.
- Authors: Barry K, Waldron D, Horgan PG, Quill DS
- Issue date: 1992 Jun
- Complete transection of common bile duct due to blunt abdominal trauma: a case report and literature review.
- Authors: Chung YC, Lee PH, Huang MT, Chang CN
- Issue date: 1993 Jan
- An unusual bile duct injury in a child after blunt abdominal trauma.
- Authors: Bin Yahib S, Al Rabeeah A, Al Sammarrai A
- Issue date: 1999 Jul
- Traumatic avulsion of the intrapancreatic common bile duct: case report.
- Authors: D'Amata G, Rahili A, Habre J, Karimdjee B, Sanchez Bueno F, Bourgeon A
- Issue date: 2006 Jan-Feb
- Isolated complete transection of the common bile duct due to blunt trauma in a child, and review of the literature.
- Authors: Bourque MD, Spigland N, Bensoussan AL, Garel L, Blanchard H
- Issue date: 1989 Oct