Knowledge, attitudes and practices in the provision of nutritional care.
AffiliationSt Vincent's University Hospital Dublin.
Guidelines as Topic
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Nurs. 2011 May 27-Jun 9;20(10):615-6, 618-20.
JournalBritish journal of nursing (Mark Allen Publishing)
AbstractThe nutritional care of patients is one of the primary responsibilities of all registered nurses (Persenius et al, 2008). A poor nutritional status can lead to malnutrition, which can have serious consequences for an individual's quality of life (Field and Smith, 2008). This paper commences with an introduction to the concept of nutrition, provides an overview of nutritional guidelines and nutritional screening tools which identify those at risk of malnutrition. It reviews the literature on nurses' knowledge, attitudes and practices in the provision of nutritional care and debates challenges and opportunities encountered to help nurses ensure adequate patient nutrition.
- Assessment and documentation of patients' nutritional status: perceptions of registered nurses and their chief nurses.
- Authors: Persenius MW, Hall-Lord ML, Bååth C, Larsson BW
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Sustained benefits of a community dietetics intervention designed to improve oral nutritional supplement prescribing practices.
- Authors: Kennelly S, Kennedy NP, Corish CA, Flanagan-Rughoobur G, Glennon-Slattery C, Sugrue S
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Consensus statement of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics/American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition: indicators recommended for the identification and documentation of pediatric malnutrition (undernutrition).
- Authors: Becker P, Carney LN, Corkins MR, Monczka J, Smith E, Smith SE, Spear BA, White JV, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics., American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition.
- Issue date: 2015 Feb
- Improving nutritional support for adults in primary and secondary care.
- Authors: Cartwright A
- Issue date: 2007 Sep 26-Oct 2
- Implementing the Care Plan for Patients Diagnosed with Malnutrition-Why Do We Wait?
- Authors: Russo E, Gupta R, Merriman L
- Issue date: 2016 May