AffiliationOncology and Cancer Support Services, St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin.
*Health Knowledge, Attitudes, Practice
Nursing Staff, Hospital/*standards
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Nurs. 2010 Jun 24-Jul 7;19(12):761-7.
JournalBritish journal of nursing (Mark Allen Publishing)
AbstractAs cancer is the leading cause of death worldwide, every nurse will be required to care for patients with the condition at some point in his/her career. However, non-specialized oncology nurses are often ill-prepared to nurse patients suffering from cancer. This literature review aims to provide an overview of current trends and developments in cancer care nursing in an attempt to identify the range of previous research pertaining to caring for patients with cancer on non-specialist wards. The review finds that non-specialized cancer nurses report a lack of education and training with regard to cancer care and cancer treatments, which acts as a barrier to providing quality nursing care. Emotional and communication issues with patients and their families can also cause non-specialist nurses significant distress. International research has shown that specialist oncology nurses make a considerable difference to physical and psychosocial patient care. It is therefore paramount that non-speciality nurses' educational needs are met to develop clinical competence and to provide supportive holistic care for both patients and their families.
- Caring in nursing: investigating the meaning of caring from the perspective of cancer patients in Beijing, China.
- Authors: Liu JE, Mok E, Wong T
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Improving Nurses' Knowledge About Older Adults With Cancer.
- Authors: Burhenn PS, Ferrell B, Johnson S, Hurria A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 1
- Chinese oncology nurses' experience on caring for dying patients who are on their final days: a qualitative study.
- Authors: Zheng RS, Guo QH, Dong FQ, Owens RG
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Do oncology nurses provide more care to patients with high levels of emotional distress?
- Authors: Mårtensson G, Carlsson M, Lampic C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Nurses' perspectives on their communication with patients in busy oncology wards: A qualitative study.
- Authors: Chan EA, Tsang PL, Ching SSY, Wong FY, Lam W
- Issue date: 2019