Natural history of markers of collagen turnover in patients with early diastolic dysfunction and impact of eplerenone.
AuthorsMak, George J
Ledwidge, Mark T
Watson, Chris J
Phelan, Dermot M
Dawkins, Ian R
Murphy, Niamh F
Patle, Anil K
Baugh, John A
McDonald, Kenneth M
AffiliationSt. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Aldosterone Antagonists/*administration & dosage
Collagen Type I/*blood
Collagen Type III/*blood
Heart Failure, Diastolic/*blood/drug therapy/physiopathology
Spironolactone/administration & dosage/*analogs & derivatives
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Oct 27;54(18):1674-82.
JournalJournal of the American College of Cardiology
AbstractOBJECTIVES: This study was designed to evaluate the impact of eplerenone on collagen turnover in preserved systolic function heart failure (HFPSF). BACKGROUND: Despite growing interest in abnormal collagen metabolism as a feature of HFPSF with diastolic dysfunction, the natural history of markers of collagen turnover and the impact of selective aldosterone antagonism on this natural history remains unknown. METHODS: We evaluated 44 patients with HFPSF, randomly assigned to control (n = 20) or eplerenone 25 mg daily (n = 24) for 6 months, increased to 50 mg daily from 6 to 12 months. Serum markers of collagen turnover and inflammation were analyzed at baseline and at 6 and 12 months and included pro-collagen type-I and -III aminoterminal peptides, matrix metalloproteinase type-2, interleukin-6 and -8, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha. Doppler-echocardiographic assessment of diastolic filling indexes and tissue Doppler analyses were also obtained. RESULTS: The mean age of the patients was 80 +/- 7.8 years; 46% were male; 64% were receiving an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor, 34% an angiotensin-II receptor blocker, and 68% were receiving beta-blocker therapy. Pro-collagen type-III and -I aminoterminal peptides, matrix metalloproteinase type-2, interleukin-6 and -8, and tumor necrosis factor-alpha increased with time in the control group. Eplerenone treatment had no significant impact on any biomarker at 6 months but attenuated the increase in pro-collagen type-III aminoterminal peptide at 12 months (p = 0.006). Eplerenone therapy was associated with modest effects on diastolic function without any impact on clinical variables or brain natriuretic peptide. CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates progressive increases in markers of collagen turnover and inflammation in HFPSF with diastolic dysfunction. Despite high background utilization of renin-angiotensin-aldosterone modulators, eplerenone therapy prevents a progressive increase in pro-collagen type-III aminoterminal peptide and may have a role in management of this disease. (The Effect of Eplerenone and Atorvastatin on Markers of Collagen Turnover in Diastolic Heart Failure; NCT00505336).
- Randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effect of aldosterone antagonism with eplerenone on ventricular remodeling in patients with mild-to-moderate heart failure and left ventricular systolic dysfunction.
- Authors: Udelson JE, Feldman AM, Greenberg B, Pitt B, Mukherjee R, Solomon HA, Konstam MA
- Issue date: 2010 May
- Extracellular cardiac matrix biomarkers in patients with acute myocardial infarction complicated by left ventricular dysfunction and heart failure: insights from the Eplerenone Post-Acute Myocardial Infarction Heart Failure Efficacy and Survival Study (EPHESUS) study.
- Authors: Iraqi W, Rossignol P, Angioi M, Fay R, Nuée J, Ketelslegers JM, Vincent J, Pitt B, Zannad F
- Issue date: 2009 May 12
- A randomized study of the beneficial effects of aldosterone antagonism on LV function, structure, and fibrosis markers in metabolic syndrome.
- Authors: Kosmala W, Przewlocka-Kosmala M, Szczepanik-Osadnik H, Mysiak A, O'Moore-Sullivan T, Marwick TH
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- Eplerenone in systemic right ventricle: double blind randomized clinical trial. The evedes study.
- Authors: Dos L, Pujadas S, Estruch M, Mas A, Ferreira-González I, Pijuan A, Serra R, Ordóñez-Llanos J, Subirana M, Pons-Lladó G, Marsal JR, García-Dorado D, Casaldàliga J
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 15
- Results of the Randomized Aldosterone Antagonism in Heart Failure with Preserved Ejection Fraction trial (RAAM-PEF).
- Authors: Deswal A, Richardson P, Bozkurt B, Mann DL
- Issue date: 2011 Aug