AffiliationSt Vincent's University Hospital and University College Dublin, Dublin 4,, Ireland.
Bacterial Toxins/*adverse effects
Cell Transformation, Neoplastic/chemically induced/*metabolism
Herpesvirus 4, Human
MetadataShow full item record
CitationLancet Oncol. 2011 May;12(5):504-12. Epub 2010 Nov 8.
JournalThe lancet oncology
AbstractThe heterogenetic and sporadic nature of colorectal cancer has led to many epidemiological associations with causes of this disease. As our understanding of the underlying molecular processes in colorectal-cancer develops, the concept of microbial-epithelial interactions as an oncogenic trigger might provide a plausible hypothesis for the pathogenesis of colorectal cancer. By contrast with other cancers of the gastrointestinal tract (gastric carcinoma, mucosa-associated lymphoid-tissue lymphoma), a direct causal link between microbial infection (bacteria and viruses) and colorectal carcinoma has not been established. Studies support the involvement of these organisms in oncogenesis, however, in colorectal cancer, clinical data are lacking. Here, we discuss current evidence (both in vitro and clinical studies), and focus on a putative role for bacterial and viral pathogens as a cause of colorectal cancer.
- Infectious agents and colorectal cancer: a review of Helicobacter pylori, Streptococcus bovis, JC virus, and human papillomavirus.
- Authors: Burnett-Hartman AN, Newcomb PA, Potter JD
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Signaling pathways bridging microbial-triggered inflammation and cancer.
- Authors: Kipanyula MJ, Seke Etet PF, Vecchio L, Farahna M, Nukenine EN, Nwabo Kamdje AH
- Issue date: 2013 Feb
- [Progress of research in the relationship between microorganisms and colorectal cancer].
- Authors: Yao ZW, Zhou YB
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Sporadic colorectal cancer: an infectious disease?
- Authors: Sinicrope FA
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Infection & neoplastic growth 101: the required reading for microbial pathogens aspiring to cause cancer.
- Authors: Bertout J, Thomas-Tikhonenko A
- Issue date: 2006