Extrahepatic biliary cystadenoma with mesenchymal stroma: a true biliary cystadenoma? A case report.
AffiliationDepartment of Hepatobiliary and Liver Transplant Surgery, St. Vincent's, University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Bile Duct Neoplasms/complications/*diagnosis/surgery
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors/complications/*diagnosis/secondary/surgery
*Hepatic Duct, Common
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationJ Gastrointestin Liver Dis. 2011 Jun;20(2):209-11.
JournalJournal of gastrointestinal and liver diseases : JGLD
AbstractBiliary cystadenomas are benign but potentially malignant cystic neoplasms, which classically contain mesenchymal stroma similar to ovarian tissue. We report a case of an extra-hepatic biliary cystadenoma with mesenchymal stroma along with a discussion of current pathological opinion. CASE PRESENTATION: A 54-year-old female presented with abdominal pain, abnormal liver function tests and a mass on ultrasound. Computerized Tomography identified a complex multi-locular cyst in the common hepatic duct. Radical excision of the lesion and a Roux-en-Y loop bilio-enteric anastomosis was performed. Histology confirmed the presence of a benign biliary cystadenoma with ovarian type stroma. CONCLUSION: Biliary cystadenomas classically contain mesenchymal stroma similar to ovarian tissue. It now appears that cystadenomas without mesenchymal stroma appear to be more akin to similar cystic lesions of the pancreas, and may represent a dissimilar neoplasm. Therefore, malignant transformation can occur, so complete excision is recommended.
- Extrahepatic biliary cystadenoma: an unusual cause of recurrent cholangitis.
- Authors: Ray S, Khamrui S, Mridha AR, Mukherjee B
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Hepatobiliary cystadenoma with mesenchymal stroma mimicking hydatid cyst. Report of a case.
- Authors: De Backer AI, De Schepper AM, Michielsen PP, De Maeyer M, Bogers JJ, Vaneerdeweg W
- Issue date: 2000 Jul-Sep
- [Benign biliary cystadenoma - a rare differential diagnosis].
- Authors: Sendt W, Voigt R, Jandt K, Settmacher U, Altendorf-Hofmann AK
- Issue date: 2012 Feb
- Biliary cystadenoma and cystadenocarcinoma: two rare cystic liver lesions.
- Authors: Koroglu M, Akhan O, Akpinar E, Oto A, Gumus B
- Issue date: 2006 Sep-Oct
- [Cystadenomas of the common bile duct as the cause of relapsing mechanical jaundice].
- Authors: Grönninger J, Rückert K, Seitz W
- Issue date: 1977 Feb