AffiliationDepartment of Ophthalmic Surgery, St Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin 4,, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Anti-Inflammatory Agents/therapeutic use
Antiviral Agents/therapeutic use
Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus/*complications/drug therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Sep;178(3):355-8. Epub 2009 Jan 13.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractAIM: To report a case of superior orbital fissure syndrome (SOFS) in a patient with herpes zoster ophthalmicus (HZO). MATERIALS AND METHODS: A case report. RESULTS: A 71-year-old male with HZO presented acutely to accident and emergency complaining of right vision loss, double vision and drowsiness. The right visual acuity was counting fingers. There was no relative afferent pupillary defect. He had interstitial keratitis, ptosis, proptosis and total ophthalmoplaegia. The signs indicated HZO complicated by SOFS. Brain imaging and lumbar puncture confirmed the diagnosis of varicella zoster encephalitis. Systemic acyclovir and prednisolone led to recovery of visual acuity and ocular motility in addition to resolution of his proptosis and ptosis. CONCLUSION: SOFS is a rare complication of herpes zoster infection. With the appropriate treatment and follow-up, patients may be reassured that recovery of their visual acuity and ocular motility will occur.
- Herpes zoster ophthalmicus presenting as orbital abscess along with superior orbital fissure syndrome: A case report.
- Authors: Lavaju P, Badhu BP, Shah S
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- Isolated optic neuritis with a concurrent abnormal trigeminal nucleus on imaging: case report of a rare complication of herpes zoster ophthalmicus.
- Authors: Vanikieti K, Poonyathalang A, Jindahra P, Cheecharoen P, Patputtipong P, Padungkiatsagul T
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 4
- Severe, permanent orbital disease in herpes zoster ophthalmicus.
- Authors: Dhingra S, Williams G, Pearson A
- Issue date: 2008
- Ophthalmoplegia secondary to herpes zoster ophthalmicus.
- Authors: Ugarte M, Dey S, Jones CA
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 19
- Complete ophthalmoplegia after herpes zoster.
- Authors: Im M, Kim BJ, Seo YJ, Park JK, Lee JH
- Issue date: 2007 Mar