Pancreaticoduodenectomy in children: optimising outcome of uncommon paediatric procedures.
AffiliationDepartment of Paediatric Surgery, Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin, 12. email@example.com
Length of Stay
Neuroectodermal Tumors, Primitive, Peripheral/surgery
Patient Care Team
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 Jan;104(1):23-4.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractContemporary surgical practice is increasingly dominated by subspecialisation in response to improved outcome from high volume centres, though uncertainties persist for uncommon paediatric procedures. Three paediatric pancreaticoduodenectomies performed at Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Dublin, over a period of 9 years were evaluated to substantiate their continuing performance by paediatric rather than adult pancreatic surgeons. With ages ranging from 18 months to 8 years old, the mean operating time was 263 minutes, while the average hospital stay was 12 days. There was no perioperative mortality, although complication rate was 100%. Re-operation was required in 33%. The long term outcome of this small paediatric cohort was comparable to adult series despite the low patient accrual, underscoring the advantages of a multidisciplinary approach afforded by tertiary paediatric institutions for intricate yet infrequent operations in children.
- Experience with the Whipple procedure (pancreaticoduodenectomy) in a university-affiliated community hospital.
- Authors: Chew DK, Attiyeh FF
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Total laparoscopic pancreaticoduodenectomy: feasibility and outcome in an early experience.
- Authors: Kendrick ML, Cusati D
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Relationship between surgical volume and clinical outcome: should pediatric surgeons be doing pancreaticoduodenectomies?
- Authors: Dasgupta R, Kim PC
- Issue date: 2005 May
- [Pancreatic fistula after pancreaticoduodenectomy: risk factors and treatment].
- Authors: Abete M, Ronchetti V, Casano A, Pescio G
- Issue date: 2005 Apr
- Pancreaticoduodenectomy for benign disease.
- Authors: Barens SA, Lillemoe KD, Kaufman HS, Sauter PK, Yeo CJ, Talamini MA, Pitt HA, Cameron JL
- Issue date: 1996 Jan