Endoscopic management of posttraumatic supraglottic stenosis in the pediatric population.
AffiliationOur Lady's Hospital for Sick Children, Crumlin, Dublin, Republic of Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Orifice Endoscopic Surgery/*methods
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAm J Otolaryngol. 2011 Sep-Oct;32(5):426-9. Epub 2010 Oct 2.
JournalAmerican journal of otolaryngology
AbstractOBJECTIVES: Pediatric blunt laryngeal trauma is a rare and potentially life-threatening entity. External injuries can be misleading, and a high index of suspicion, as well as early intervention, is essential to achieve the best possible outcome. The authors of this report review the management of blunt laryngeal trauma in the pediatric population and describe the endoscopic management of posttraumatic supraglottic stenosis. METHODS: Methods used were case report from a tertiary referral institution and review of the literature. RESULTS: We describe the case of a 13-year-old girl whom developed supraglottic stenosis following blunt laryngeal trauma. Innovative endoscopic techniques were used in the successful management of this exceedingly rare entity. CONCLUSION: Early recognition and intervention are of paramount importance if successful endoscopic management of blunt laryngeal trauma is to be considered.
- Endoscopic management of blunt pediatric laryngeal trauma.
- Authors: Elmaraghy CA, Tanna N, Wiet GJ, Kang DR
- Issue date: 2007 Mar
- Blunt laryngeal trauma in children: case report and review of initial airway management.
- Authors: Losek JD, Tecklenburg FW, White DR
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- Epiglottoplasty for reconstruction of posttraumatic laryngeal stenosis.
- Authors: Delaere PR, Ostyn F, Segers A, Vandyck W
- Issue date: 1991 Jun
- Laryngotracheal transection in blunt trauma of the neck.
- Authors: Yadav SP, Arora V, Mahajan R, Hooda S
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Mar
- Complete traumatic laryngotracheal disruption--a case report and review.
- Authors: Smith DF, Rasmussen S, Peng A, Bagwell C, Johnson C 3rd
- Issue date: 2009 Dec