AffiliationDepartment of Anaesthesia, Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin., firstname.lastname@example.org
Databases as Topic
*Practice Guidelines as Topic
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2009 Apr;102(4):117-8.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe aim of preoperative fasting is to prevent regurgitation and pulmonary aspiration while limiting potential problems of thirst, dehydration and hypoglycaemia. The American Society of Anaesthesiologists (ASA) has suggested guidelines for preoperative fasting for children undergoing elective surgery. We did a postal survey to determine the current practice regarding these guidelines amongst all specialist registrars in anaesthesia in Ireland. A questionnaire was sent to all specialist registrars in anaesthesia (90 in total), 60 (67%) were returned and analysed. The question asked was how long children should be kept fasting before elective surgery. The results of our survey suggest that most of the respondents are following the ASA guidelines for clear fluids and solids however there were differing opinion regarding the duration of fasting for formula milk and breast milk. In conclusion, we would recommend greater awareness and collaboration between anaesthetists, nurses and surgeons to ensure that fasting instructions are consistent with the ASA guidelines and that patient and their parents understand these directives as well.
- Are you hungry? Are you thirsty?--fasting times in elective outpatient pediatric patients.
- Authors: Engelhardt T, Wilson G, Horne L, Weiss M, Schmitz A
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Pre-operative fasting for paediatric anaesthesia. A survey of current practice.
- Authors: Emerson BM, Wrigley SR, Newton M
- Issue date: 1998 Apr
- Preoperative fasting times in elective surgical patients at a referral Hospital in Botswana.
- Authors: Abebe WA, Rukewe A, Bekele NA, Stoffel M, Dichabeng MN, Shifa JZ
- Issue date: 2016
- Preoperative fasting: old habits die hard.
- Authors: Crenshaw JT, Winslow EH
- Issue date: 2002 May
- [Liberalisation of preoperative fasting guidelines: effects on patient comfort and clinical practicability during elective laparoscopic surgery of the lower abdomen].
- Authors: Meisner M, Ernhofer U, Schmidt J
- Issue date: 2008 Sep