Impact of childhood chronic illnesses on siblings: a literature review.
AffiliationOur Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin.
Attitude to Health
*Cost of Illness
Nursing Methodology Research/*organization & administration
Quality of Life
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Nurs. 2009 Dec 10-2010 Jan 13;18(22):1358, 1360-5.
JournalBritish journal of nursing (Mark Allen Publishing)
AbstractBACKGROUND: Childhood illness can have a significant impact on families, particularly on the ill child's siblings. There is a dearth of published literature focusing on the needs of siblings of ill children. AIM: This literature review aims to provide an overview of the current healthcare literature in relation to the impact of childhood chronic illness or disability on siblings. METHOD: A literature review was undertaken by searching the databases CINAHL, PsycINFO, ProQuest and Cochrane Library for relevant articles in English using the search terms: 'siblings', 'chronic illness', 'disability', 'cancer', 'sibling relations', 'sibling adjustment', 'coping', 'family-centred care', 'sibling interventions', 'camps', 'autism', 'Down's syndrome'. Seventeen research studies in total were reviewed. RESULTS: This review focuses on three sibling groups related to children suffering from autism, cancer and Down's syndrome, and are discussed under the following headings: sibling adjustment; family functioning and sibling's coping resources; and intervention programmes. CONCLUSION: The literature revealed that siblings of children with Down's syndrome were well adjusted to living with their brother or sister. However, there was conflicting information on the adjustment of siblings of children with cancer and autism. An awareness of the harmful effect that living with childhood illness and disability can have on some siblings is essential to enable healthcare professionals to provide supportive interventions to protect siblings' physical and emotional wellbeing.
CollectionsOur Lady's Children's Hospital Crumlin
- The sibling experience of living with childhood chronic illness and disability.
- Authors: Van Riper M
- Issue date: 2003
- The perspective of siblings of children with chronic illness: a literature review.
- Authors: Knecht C, Hellmers C, Metzing S
- Issue date: 2015 Jan-Feb
- Siblings of children with Down syndrome: an integrative review.
- Authors: Choi H, Van Riper M
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- School Experiences of Siblings of Children with Chronic Illness: A Systematic Literature Review.
- Authors: Gan LL, Lum A, Wakefield CE, Nandakumar B, Fardell JE
- Issue date: 2017 Mar - Apr
- Child, parent and family factors as predictors of adjustment for siblings of children with a disability.
- Authors: Giallo R, Gavidia-Payne S
- Issue date: 2006 Dec