Outcome of children with Pentalogy of Cantrell following cardiac surgery.
AffiliationDepartment of Cardiology, Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, Dublin 12,, Ireland.
Heart Defects, Congenital/*mortality/*surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPediatr Cardiol. 2009 May;30(4):426-30. Epub 2009 Mar 26.
AbstractAlthough single individual reports have documented outcomes in children with pentalogy of are few data available for postoperative outcome of this cohort of patients after cardiac surgery. The aim of this study was to retrospectively review the clinical details of patients with pentalogy of Cantrell managed at two centers. Two cardiac surgical institutions retrospectively studied all patients with pentalogy of Cantrell and significant congenital heart disease who underwent surgical intervention, excluding PDA ligation, between 1992 and 2004. Seven children with pentalogy of Cantrell underwent surgical intervention at a median age of 60 days (range, 1-11 months). Three patients had tetralogy of Fallot, two double outlet right ventricle, one patient had tricuspid atresia, and one patient a perimembranous ventricular septal defect. The mean duration of postoperative ventilation was 112.8 days (range, 4-335 days) but three patients required ventilation for more than 100 days. Patients who had a preoperative diaphragmatic plication required a longer duration of ventilation (mean = 186.5 days [range, 100-273 days] compared with mean = 132 days [range, 4-335 days]). Four patients survived, with three patients weaned from ventilation. Three patients had withdrawal of care following failure to wean from ventilation, following multisystem organ failure, and at the request of their parents. In conclusion, the postoperative care of children with pentalogy of Cantrell after cardiac surgery is often complicated by prolonged need for ventilatory support and multiple postoperative complications. Earlier surgical intervention does not necessarily reduce morbidity and mortality. These data may help in the counseling of parents prior to surgical intervention.
- Pentalogy of Cantrell: Forty-two Years of Experience in the Hospital Infantil de Mexico Federico Gomez.
- Authors: Balderrábano-Saucedo N, Vizcaíno-Alarcón A, Sandoval-Serrano E, Segura-Stanford B, Arévalo-Salas LA, de la Cruz LR, Espinosa-Islas G, Puga-Muñuzuri FJ
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Surgical treatment and outcomes of pentalogy of Cantrell in eight patients.
- Authors: Zhang X, Xing Q, Sun J, Hou X, Kuang M, Zhang G
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- [Cardiac malformations in patients with pentalogy of Cantrell and ectopia cordis].
- Authors: de Rubens Figueroa J, Sosa Cruz EF, Díaz García L, Carrasco Daza D
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- 5, 4, 3, 2, 1: embryologic variants of pentalogy of Cantrell.
- Authors: Kaul B, Sheikh F, Zamora IJ, Mehollin-Ray AR, Cassady CI, Ayres NA, Cass DL, Olutoye OO
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Successful surgical repair of pentalogy of cantrell at 14 months of age.
- Authors: Akhtar K, Sultan M, Ahmed W, Ullah M, Sadiq N
- Issue date: 2014 May