Indications for admission, treatment and improved outcome of paediatric haematology/oncology patients admitted to a tertiary paediatric ICU.
AffiliationDepartment of Haematology/Oncology, Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin,, Dublin, Ireland. email@example.com
Intensive Care Units, Pediatric/statistics & numerical data
Precursor Cell Lymphoblastic Leukemia-Lymphoma/mortality/therapy
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):85-9. Epub 2010 Nov 10.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Overall survival in paediatric cancer has improved significantly over the past 20 years. Treatment strategies have been intensified, and supportive care has made substantial advances. Historically, paediatric oncology patients admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) have had extremely poor outcomes. METHODS: We conducted a retrospective cohort study over a 3-year period in a single centre to evaluate the outcomes for this particularly vulnerable group of patients admitted to a paediatric ICU. RESULTS: Fifty-five patients were admitted a total of 66 times to the ICU during the study period. The mortality rate of this group was 23% compared with an overall ICU mortality rate of 5%. 11/15 patients who died had an underlying haematological malignancy. Twenty-eight percent of children with organism-identified sepsis died. CONCLUSIONS: While mortality rates for paediatric oncology patients admitted to a ICU have improved, they are still substantial. Those with a haematological malignancy or admitted with sepsis are most at risk.
- The Outcome of Critically Ill Pediatric Cancer Patients Admitted to the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit in a Tertiary University Oncology Center in a Developing Country: A 5-Year Experience.
- Authors: Ali AM, Sayed HA, Mohammed MM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Outcomes of haematology/oncology patients admitted to intensive care unit at The Canberra Hospital.
- Authors: Parakh S, Piggin A, Neeman T, Mitchell I, Crispin P, Davis A
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- The experience of a single Australian paediatric oncology unit. 1000 patients 1964-1987.
- Authors: McCowage GB, Vowels MR, Brown R, O'Gorman-Hughes D, White L, Marshall G
- Issue date: 1993 Oct 4
- Improved outcomes of children with malignancy admitted to a pediatric intensive care unit.
- Authors: Hallahan AR, Shaw PJ, Rowell G, O'Connell A, Schell D, Gillis J
- Issue date: 2000 Nov
- Management of oncology patients admitted to the paediatric intensive care unit of a general children's hospital - a single center analysis.
- Authors: Haase R, Lieser U, Kramm C, Stiefel M, Vilser C, Bernig T, Merkel N, Mauz-Körholz C, Körholz D
- Issue date: 2011 May