AffiliationOur Lady of Lourdes, Drogheda, Co Louth. email@example.com
Sensitivity and Specificity
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 Sep;104(8):243-5.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractThe aim of this audit was to assess the accuracy of transabdominal ultrasound scan in predicting chorionicity in twin pregnancies in our unit. The presence or absence of lambda sign, T-sign, dividing membrane thickness and number of placentae were used to determine chorionicity. We retrospectively analysed these antenatal markers in 268 sets of twins delivered over a 5 year period and compared it with the postpartum placental histology and neonatal gender. Of 268 twin deliveries, 204 (76%) had both chorionicity and placental histology to compare. 67 of 84 (80%) were correctly diagnosed antenatally as monochorionic and 137 of 151 (91%) as dichorionic. In 31 cases (15%) the ultrasound diagnosis of chorionicity didn't match placental histology. Seventeen were thought to be monochorionic antenatally but were confirmed dichorionic on placental histology. Overall chorionicity was correctly diagnosed in 171/204 (84%) using transabdominal ultrasound scan (USS) in all trimesters. However the sensitivity and specificity of USS was much higher for dichorionic twins when carried out before 14 weeks of gestation.
- Prediction of chorionicity in twin pregnancies at 10-14 weeks of gestation.
- Authors: Carroll SG, Soothill PW, Abdel-Fattah SA, Porter H, Montague I, Kyle PM
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Chorionicity determination in twin pregnancies: how accurate are we?
- Authors: Stenhouse E, Hardwick C, Maharaj S, Webb J, Kelly T, Mackenzie FM
- Issue date: 2002 Apr
- Reliability of transvaginal ultrasonography at 7-9 weeks' gestation in the determination of chorionicity and amnionicity in twin pregnancies.
- Authors: Bora SA, Papageorghiou AT, Bottomley C, Kirk E, Bourne T
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- The lambda sign at 10-14 weeks of gestation as a predictor of chorionicity in twin pregnancies.
- Authors: Sepulveda W, Sebire NJ, Hughes K, Odibo A, Nicolaides KH
- Issue date: 1996 Jun
- First-trimester ultrasound determination of chorionicity in twin gestations using the lambda sign: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Authors: Maruotti GM, Saccone G, Morlando M, Martinelli P
- Issue date: 2016 Jul