AffiliationDepartment of General Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9,, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationSurgeon. 2011 Dec;9(6):300-4. Epub 2010 Dec 10.
JournalThe surgeon : journal of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons of Edinburgh and Ireland
AbstractBACKGROUND: Laparoscopic adrenalectomy is an attractive alternative to the traditional open approach in the surgical excision of an adrenal gland. It has replaced open adrenalectomy in our institution and we review our experience to date. METHODS: All cases of laparoscopic adrenalectomies in our hospital over eight years (from 2001 to May 2009) were retrospectively reviewed. Patient demographics, diagnosis, length of hospital stay, histology and all operative and post-operative details were evaluated. RESULTS: Fifty-five laparoscopic adrenalectomies (LA) were performed on 51 patients over eight years. The mean age was 48 years (Range 16-86 years) with the male: female ratio 1:2. Twenty-three cases had a right adrenalectomy, 24 had a left adrenalectomy and the remaining four patients had bilateral adrenalectomies. 91% were successfully completed laparoscopically with five converted to an open approach. Adenomas (functional and non functional) were the leading indication for LA, followed by phaeochromocytomas. Other indications for LA included Cushing's disease, adrenal malignancies and rarer pathologies. There was one mortality from necrotising pancreatitis following a left adrenalectomy for severe Cushing's disease, with subsequent death 10 days later. CONCLUSION: Laparoscopic adrenalectomy is effective for the treatment of adrenal tumours, fulfilling the criteria for the ideal minimally invasive procedure. It has replaced the traditional open approach in our centre and is a safe and effective alternative. However, in the case of severe Cushing's disease, laparoscopic adrenalectomy has the potential for significant adverse outcomes and mortality.
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy: lessons learned from 100 consecutive procedures.
- Authors: Gagner M, Pomp A, Heniford BT, Pharand D, Lacroix A
- Issue date: 1997 Sep
- Laparoscopic approach to adrenalectomy: review of perioperative outcomes in a single center.
- Authors: Nguyen PH, Keller JE, Novitsky YW, Heniford BT, Kercher KW
- Issue date: 2011 May
- One hundred laparoscopic adrenalectomies: a single surgeon's experience.
- Authors: Zeh HJ 3rd, Udelsman R
- Issue date: 2003 Nov
- Laparoscopic adrenalectomy. A review of 30 initial cases.
- Authors: Pujol J, Viladrich M, Rafecas A, Lladó L, García-Barrasa A, Figueras J, Jaurrieta E
- Issue date: 1999 May
- [Laparoscopic adrenalectomy].
- Authors: Zamir G, Hazzan D, Gross DJ, Lyass S, Jurim O, Shiloni E, Reissman P
- Issue date: 2000 Apr 2