Development of an adhesive surgical ward round checklist: a technique to improve patient safety.
AffiliationBeaumont Hospital, Beaumont, Dublin 9. Paul.email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr Med J. 2011 Nov-Dec;104(10):303-5.
JournalIrish medical journal
AbstractChecklists have been shown to improve patient outcomes. Checklist use is seen in the pre-operative to post-operative phases of the patient pathway. An adhesive checklist was developed for ward rounds due to the positive impact it could have on improving patient safety. Over an eight day period data were collected from five consultant-led teams that were randomly selected from the surgical department and divided into sticker groups and control groups. Across the board percentage adherence to the Good Surgical Practice Guidelines (GSPG) was markedly higher in the sticker study group, 1186 (91%) in comparison with the control group 718 (55%). There was significant improvement of documentation across all areas measured. An adhesive checklist for ward round note taking is a simple and cost-effective way to improve documentation, communication, hand-over, and patient safety. Successfully implemented in a tertiary level centre in Dublin, Ireland it is easily transferable to other surgical departments globally.
- Ward safety checklist in the acute surgical unit.
- Authors: Blucher KM, Dal Pra SE, Hogan J, Wysocki AP
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Effect of surgical safety checklists on postoperative morbidity and mortality rates, Shiraz, Faghihy Hospital, a 1-year study.
- Authors: Askarian M, Kouchak F, Palenik CJ
- Issue date: 2011 Oct-Dec
- Is the post-take ward round standardised?
- Authors: Mansell A, Uttley J, Player P, Nolan O, Jackson S
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- A Considerative Checklist to ensure safe daily patient review.
- Authors: Mohan N, Caldwell G
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Patient safety dialogue: evaluation of an intervention aimed at achieving an improved patient safety culture.
- Authors: Ohrn A, Rutberg H, Nilsen P
- Issue date: 2011 Dec