What do gastroenterology trainees want: recognition, remuneration or recreation?
AffiliationDepartment of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin,, Ireland. email@example.com
Salaries and Fringe Benefits
Work Schedule Tolerance
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):439-44. Epub 2010 Jul 27.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Occupational psychologists have identified three factors important in motivating physicians: financial reward, academic recognition, time off. AIM: To assess motivators among gastroenterology (GI) trainees. METHODS: A questionnaire was distributed to GI trainees to assess their motivators: (1) work fewer hours for less lucrative rate, (2) reduction in salary/increase in hours for academic protected time, and (3) work longer hours for higher total salary, but less lucrative hourly rate. RESULTS: Overall, 61 trainees responded; 52% of trainees would work shorter hours for less lucrative rate; 60% would accept a disproportionate reduction in salary/increase in hours for academic protected time; 54% would work longer hours for more money but less lucrative rate. Most trainees (93%) accepted at least one scenario. CONCLUSIONS: Most GI trainees are willing to modify their job description to align with their personal values. Tailoring job descriptions according to these values can yield economic benefits to GI Divisions.
- For money or service?: a cross-sectional survey of preference for financial versus non-financial rural practice characteristics among Ghanaian medical students.
- Authors: Johnson JC, Nakua E, Dzodzomenyo M, Agyei-Baffour P, Gyakobo M, Asabir K, Kwansah J, Kotha SR, Snow RC, Kruk ME
- Issue date: 2011 Nov 3
- Attitudes and expectations of 1995 gastroenterology graduates about gastroenterology.
- Authors: McCashland TM, Zetterman RK, Ruby EI, McCashland CR, Wigton RS
- Issue date: 1996 Oct
- The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine and Association of Academic Chairs in Emergency Medicine 2009-2010 emergency medicine faculty salary and benefits survey.
- Authors: Watts SH, Promes SB, Hockberger R
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- A study of job satisfaction and work environment perception among doctors in a tertiary hospital in Delhi.
- Authors: Kaur S, Sharma R, Talwar R, Verma A, Singh S
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- Rural clinician scarcity and job preferences of doctors and nurses in India: a discrete choice experiment.
- Authors: Rao KD, Ryan M, Shroff Z, Vujicic M, Ramani S, Berman P
- Issue date: 2013