Comparison of arterial stiffness and microcirculatory changes following abdominal aortic aneurysm grafting.
AuthorsMoloney, M A
O' Donnell, D H
Casey, R G
Kavanagh, E G
Grace, P A
Bouchier-Hayes, D J
AffiliationDepartment of Vascular Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Beaumont,, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
Aortic Aneurysm, Abdominal/*physiopathology/*surgery
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Jun;180(2):375-8. Epub 2010 Nov 11.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGOUND: Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) surgery provides a unique opportunity to study the impact of arterial stiffness on central haemodynamics, reflected in augmentation index (AI). The aneurysmal aorta is significantly stiffer than undilated age-matched aorta. AIM: We investigated whether replacement of an aneurysmal aorta with a compliant graft would result in a decrease in AI, which would thus decrease myocardial workload parameters. METHODS: Patients undergoing elective open or endovascular AAA repair were assessed with applanation tonometry and laser fluximetry pre-operatively, immediately and long-term post-operatively. RESULTS: Replacement of a small segment of abnormal conduit vessel resulted in improvements in AI, demonstrating that arterial stiffness can be surgically manipulated. CONCLUSIONS: These results reflect a decreased myocardial workload post-aortic grafting. This decrease in AI is important from a risk factor management perspective, and arterial stiffness should become a further recognised and screened for risk factor in patients with known aneurysmal disease.
- Endovascular Aneurysm Repair Increases Aortic Arterial Stiffness When Compared to Open Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms.
- Authors: Gray C, Goodman P, Badger SA, O'Malley MK, O'Donohoe MK, McDonnell CO
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- The Effect of Remote Ischaemic Preconditioning on Arterial Stiffness in Patients Undergoing Vascular Surgery: A Randomised Clinical Trial.
- Authors: Kepler T, Kuusik K, Lepner U, Starkopf J, Zilmer M, Eha J, Lieberg J, Vähi M, Kals J
- Issue date: 2019 Jun
- Changes in aortic pulse wave velocity of patients undergoing endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms.
- Authors: Kadoglou NP, Moulakakis KG, Papadakis I, Ikonomidis I, Alepaki M, Lekakis J, Liapis CD
- Issue date: 2012 Oct
- Measures of carotid-femoral pulse wave velocity and augmentation index are not reliable in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm.
- Authors: Lee CW, Sung SH, Chen CK, Chen IM, Cheng HM, Yu WC, Shih CC, Chen CH
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Compliance of abdominal aortic aneurysms before and after stenting with tissue doppler imaging: evolution during follow-up and correlation with aneurysm diameter.
- Authors: Long A, Rouet L, Vitry F, Albertini JN, Marcus C, Clement C
- Issue date: 2009 Jan-Feb