The utility of 99mTc-sestamibi scintigraphy in the localisation of parathyroid adenomas in primary hyperparathyroidism.
AffiliationDivision of Endocrinology, Beaumont Hospital, RCSI Medical School, Dublin 9,, Ireland.
Aged, 80 and over
Parathyroid Neoplasms/complications/*radionuclide imaging
Sensitivity and Specificity
Technetium Tc 99m Sestamibi/*diagnostic use
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):191-4. Epub 2010 Nov 13.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: There are conflicting data in the literature about the sensitivity of sestamibi scintigraphy in parathyroid tumour localisation in primary hyperparathyroidism (PHPT). AIM: We aimed to evaluate the overall sensitivity of this modality in parathyroid tumour localisation and to determine clinical and biochemical factors which influence sensitivity of this method. METHODS: We performed a retrospective review of 57 patients with a biochemical diagnosis of PHPT who had sestamibi scintigraphy performed. RESULTS: The sensitivity of sestamibi scanning was 56% in whole group and 63% in those without nodular thyroid disease. Among the patients with confirmed single gland disease (biochemical cure after surgical removal of a single adenoma), sensitivity was 71%. A positive scan was associated with younger age, greater adenoma weight and higher pre-operative serum calcium. Concordance between the sestamibi and neck ultrasonography was 92% accurate in pre-operative tumour localisation. CONCLUSION: Sestamibi scintigraphy was more likely to be positive in younger patients without nodular thyroid disease who have larger parathyroid adenomas with more severe hyperparathyroidism.
- Comparison of hyperparathyroidism types and utility of dual radiopharmaceutical acquisition with Tc99m sestamibi and <sup>123</sup>I for localization of rapid washout parathyroid adenomas.
- Authors: Kushchayeva YS, Tella SH, Kushchayev SV, Van Nostrand D, Kulkarni K
- Issue date: 2019 May
- Clinical utility of ultrasound and 99mTc sestamibi SPECT/CT for preoperative localization of parathyroid adenoma in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Authors: Patel CN, Salahudeen HM, Lansdown M, Scarsbrook AF
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Diagnostic accuracy of 3T magnetic resonance imaging in the preoperative localisation of parathyroid adenomas: comparison with ultrasound and 99mTc-sestamibi scans.
- Authors: Argirò R, Diacinti D, Sacconi B, Iannarelli A, Diacinti D, Cipriani C, Pisani D, Romagnoli E, Biffoni M, Di Gioia C, Pepe J, Bezzi M, Letizia C, Minisola S, Catalano C
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- [The role of scintigraphy with dual tracer and potassium perchlorate (99mTcO4 & KClO4/ MIBI) in primary hyperparathyroidism].
- Authors: Rubello D, Saladini G, Casara D
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Preoperative localization of parathyroid adenoma with sonography and 99mTc-sestamibi scintigraphy in primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Authors: Grosso I, Sargiotto A, D'Amelio P, Tamone C, Gasparri G, De Filippi PG, Picciotto G, Isaia G
- Issue date: 2007 May