Near-infrared laparoscopy for real-time intra-operative arterial and lymphatic perfusion imaging.
AffiliationDepartment of Colorectal Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationColorectal Dis. 2011 Nov;13 Suppl 7:12-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1463-1318.2011.02772.x.
JournalColorectal disease : the official journal of the Association of Coloproctology of, Great Britain and Ireland
AbstractMultimodal laparoscopic imaging systems possessing the capability for extended spectrum irradiation and visualization within a unified camera system are now available to provide enhanced intracorporeal operative anatomic and dynamic perfusion assessment and potentially augmented patient outcome. While ultraviolet-range energies have limited penetration and hence are probably more useful for endoscopic mucosal interrogation, the near-infrared (NIR) spectrum is of greater potential utility for the purposes of examining inducible fluorescence in abdominopelvic tissue that can be achieved by administration of specific tracer agents, either directly into the circulation (e.g. for anastomotic perfusion assessment at the time of stapling) or into the lymphatic system (e.g. for lymph basin road-mapping and/or focussed target nodal assessment). This technology is also capable of supplementing anatomic recognition of the biliary system while implantable fibres can also be inserted intraoperatively for the purpose of safeguarding vital structures such as the oesphagus and ureters especially in difficult reoperations. It is likely that this technological capability will find a clear and common indication in colorectal specialist and general surgical departments worldwide in the near future.
- Intraoperative augmented reality for laparoscopic colorectal surgery by intraoperative near-infrared fluorescence imaging and optical coherence tomography.
- Authors: Cahill RA, Mortensen NJ
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Perfusion assessment in laparoscopic left-sided/anterior resection (PILLAR II): a multi-institutional study.
- Authors: Jafari MD, Wexner SD, Martz JE, McLemore EC, Margolin DA, Sherwinter DA, Lee SW, Senagore AJ, Phelan MJ, Stamos MJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- [Intra-operative fluorescence angiography of colorectal anastomotic perfusion: a technical aspects].
- Authors: Martínek L, Pazdírek F, Hoch J, Kocián P
- Issue date: Spring 2018
- Clinical translation of ex vivo sentinel lymph node mapping for colorectal cancer using invisible near-infrared fluorescence light.
- Authors: Hutteman M, Choi HS, Mieog JS, van der Vorst JR, Ashitate Y, Kuppen PJ, van Groningen MC, Löwik CW, Smit VT, van de Velde CJ, Frangioni JV, Vahrmeijer AL
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Transanal near-infrared imaging of colorectal anastomotic perfusion.
- Authors: Sherwinter DA
- Issue date: 2012 Oct