Intravenous, contrast-enhanced MR colonography using air as endoluminal contrast agent: Impact on colorectal polyp detection.
AuthorsKeeling, Aoife N
Morrin, Martina M
Farrell, Richard J
Sheth, Sunil G
Bloch, B Nicolas
Rofsky, Neil M
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin 9, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEur J Radiol. 2012 Jan;81(1):31-8. Epub 2010 Dec 4.
JournalEuropean journal of radiology
AbstractPURPOSE: To compare diagnostic accuracy and patient tolerance of MR colonography with intravenous contrast and luminal air (MRC) to conventional colonoscopy (CC). MATERIALS AND METHODS: IRB approval and written informed consent were obtained. Forty-six patients, both screening and symptomatic, underwent MRC followed by CC. The MRC technique employed 3D T1W spoiled gradient echo sequences performed after the administration of gadopenetate dimeglumine, with parallel imaging. The diagnostic accuracy and tolerance of patients for MRC was compared to CC. RESULTS: Twenty-four polyps were detected in eighteen patients with CC (5 polyps >/=10mm, 4 polyps 6-9mm, 15 polyps 6mm) was 100% (9/9) and 100% (15/15), respectively. Regarding tolerance of the exams, there were no significant differences between MRC and CC. Thirty-five percent (n=16) of patients preferred MRC as a future screening test compared to 33% (n=15) for CC. CONCLUSION: MRC using air as an intraluminal contrast agent is a feasible and well-tolerated technique for detecting colonic polyps >/=6mm in size. Further studies are warranted.
- Colorectal polyps: detection with dark-lumen MR colonography versus conventional colonoscopy.
- Authors: Hartmann D, Bassler B, Schilling D, Adamek HE, Jakobs R, Pfeifer B, Eickhoff A, Zindel C, Riemann JF, Layer G
- Issue date: 2006 Jan
- Dark lumen MR colonography: can high spatial resolution VIBE imaging improve the detection of colorectal masses?
- Authors: Ajaj W, Rühm SG, Papanikolaou N, Lauenstein TC, Gerken G, Goyen M
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Dark lumen MR-colonography: initial experience.
- Authors: Lauenstein TC, Herborn CU, Vogt FM, Göhde SC, Debatin JF, Ruehm SG
- Issue date: 2001 Sep
- Strengths and weaknesses of dark-lumen MR colonography: clinical relevance of polyps smaller than 5 mm in diameter at the moment of their detection.
- Authors: Ajaj W, Ruehm SG, Gerken G, Goyen M
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Parallel imaging enhanced MR colonography using a phantom model.
- Authors: Morrin MM, Pedrosa I, McKenzie CA, Farrell RJ, Bloch N, Solazzo S, Ngo L, Goldberg SN, Rofsky NM
- Issue date: 2008 Sep