Candida parapsilosis meningitis associated with Gliadel (BCNU) wafer implants.
Lim, Chor Hiang
Sattar, Muhammad T
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Microbiology, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland., firstname.lastname@example.org
Combined Modality Therapy/methods
Decanoic Acids/therapeutic use
Drug Implants/*adverse effects
Meningitis, Fungal/drug therapy/*microbiology
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBr J Neurosurg. 2011 Apr;25(2):289-91. Epub 2010 Dec 15.
JournalBritish journal of neurosurgery
AbstractA 58-year old male presented with meningitis associated with subgaleal and subdural collections 6 weeks following a temporal craniotomy for resection of recurrent glioblastoma multiforme and Gliadel wafer implantation. Candida parapsilosis was cultured from cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and Gliadel wafers removed during surgical debridement. He was successfully treated with liposomal amphotericin B. To our knowledge, this is the first reported case of Candida parapsilosis meningitis secondary to Gliadel wafer placement.
- Candida meningitis post Gliadel wafer placement successfully treated with intrathecal and intravenous amphotericin B.
- Authors: Glick JA, Graham RS, Voils SA
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Use of Gliadel (BCNU) wafer in the surgical treatment of malignant glioma: a 10-year institutional experience.
- Authors: Attenello FJ, Mukherjee D, Datoo G, McGirt MJ, Bohan E, Weingart JD, Olivi A, Quinones-Hinojosa A, Brem H
- Issue date: 2008 Oct
- A phase I trial of surgery, Gliadel wafer implantation, and immediate postoperative carboplatin in combination with radiation therapy for primary anaplastic astrocytoma or glioblastoma multiforme.
- Authors: Limentani SA, Asher A, Heafner M, Kim JW, Fraser R
- Issue date: 2005 May
- Gliadel (BCNU) wafer plus concomitant temozolomide therapy after primary resection of glioblastoma multiforme.
- Authors: McGirt MJ, Than KD, Weingart JD, Chaichana KL, Attenello FJ, Olivi A, Laterra J, Kleinberg LR, Grossman SA, Brem H, Quiñones-Hinojosa A
- Issue date: 2009 Mar
- Monitoring the effects of BCNU chemotherapy Wafers (Gliadel) in glioblastoma multiforme with proton magnetic resonance spectroscopic imaging at 3.0 Tesla.
- Authors: Dyke JP, Sanelli PC, Voss HU, Serventi JV, Stieg PE, Schwartz TH, Ballon D, Shungu DC, Pannullo SC
- Issue date: 2007 Mar