Transforming management of patients undergoing splenectomy in an Irish teaching hospital.
AffiliationBeaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
Purpura, Thrombocytopenic, Idiopathic/surgery
Vaccination/statistics & numerical data
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Sep;180(3):655-9. Epub 2011 Feb 6.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: Post-splenectomy infection has a mortality rate of up to 70%. Previously we have published data confirming the poor adherence to best practice guidelines with relation to management of the asplenic patient. A defined protocol of care was established, staff education commenced and a 'patient information leaflet' made available. AIM: To ascertain whether management of the asplenic patient has improved since the implementation of a structured programme of care. METHOD: Retrospective chart review of all splenectomies performed in Beaumont Hospital between 2002 and 2008. RESULTS: Overall, 75.9% of patients were documented as having received the recommended vaccinations. Of these, 48.7% were not timed according to recommended guidelines. Prophylactic antibiotics were documented as prescribed in all but five patients discharged. CONCLUSIONS: These results demonstrate an improvement in post-splenectomy care between 2002 and 2008. However, further improvements are necessary.
- Management of patients undergoing splenectomy in an Irish teaching hospital: impact of guidelines.
- Authors: O'Donnell J, McGreal G, Daly P, Crowley R, Barry MC, Broe P, Bouchier-Hayes DJ
- Issue date: 2004 Jul-Sep
- [Splenectomy in a large general hospital: often caused by iatrogenic injury, often causing multiple complications; poor adherence to post-operative guidelines for vaccination and prophylaxis].
- Authors: Brandenburg JJ, de Jong VM, Oostenbroek RJ, Westenend PJ, Frenay HM, Hesp WL, Plaisier PW
- Issue date: 2008 May 17
- Adherence to preventive measures after splenectomy in the hospital setting and in the community.
- Authors: Coignard-Biehler H, Lanternier F, Hot A, Salmon D, Berger A, de Montalembert M, Suarez F, Launay O, Lecuit M, Lortholary O
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Adherence to vaccination guidelines post splenectomy: A five year follow up study.
- Authors: Boam T, Sellars P, Isherwood J, Hollobone C, Pollard C, Lloyd DM, Dennison AR, Garcea G
- Issue date: 2017 Nov - Dec
- An audit of post-splenectomy prophylaxis--are we following the guidelines?
- Authors: Ramachandra J, Bond A, Ranaboldo C, Cullis J
- Issue date: 2003 Jul