AffiliationDepartment of Surgery, Beaumont Hospital, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland,, Dublin, Ireland. firstname.lastname@example.org
Aged, 80 and over
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Sep;180(3):727-30. Epub 2011 Apr 17.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: A predominance of melanomas on the left side of the body has recently been described. No associations between tumour laterality and gender, age or anatomical site have been identified. AIM: The aim of this study was to investigate the prevalence of left-sided melanomas in an Irish population and to examine potential associations with various patient and tumour characteristics. METHODS: A retrospective chart review of patients with cutaneous melanoma who were treated over a 10-year period was carried out. Lateral distribution of melanoma on either side of the body was compared using chi(2) analysis and evaluated by gender, age group, anatomic location, histologic subtype and Breslow depth. RESULTS: More melanomas occurred on the left side (57%, P = 0.015), and this finding was particularly significant in females. For both genders combined, there were no statistically significant differences in laterality by age group, anatomic location, type of melanoma and Breslow depth. There were significantly more superficial spreading melanomas on the left side in both men and women. CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates a predominance of left-sided melanomas in Irish patients. While a number of demographic and molecular associations have been proposed, further research is required to fully explain this phenomenon.
- A clinicopathological correlation of 134 stage 1 and 79 non-invasive cutaneous melanomas presenting over a decade (1984-1993) at the Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin.
- Authors: O'Donnell B, Dervan P, Codd M, Powell F, Lawlor D, O'Loughlin S
- Issue date: 1998 Jul-Sep
- Analysis of trends and seasonal variation in primary cutaneous melanoma: an Irish study.
- Authors: Downes MR, Fan Y, Murphy G, Gulmann C
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Cutaneous melanomas associated with nevi.
- Authors: Bevona C, Goggins W, Quinn T, Fullerton J, Tsao H
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- Primary cutaneous malignant melanoma in Ethiopian patients histopathologic study of 50 cases from Tikur Anbessa Hospital.
- Authors: Legesse TB, Schneider J
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Characteristics of 637 melanomas documented by 27 general practitioners on the Skin Cancer Audit Research Database.
- Authors: Jimenez Balcells C, Hay J, Keir J, Rosendahl N, Coetzer-Botha M, Wilson T, Clark S, Baade A, Becker C, Bookallil L, Clifopoulos C, Dicker T, Denby MP, Duthie D, Elliott C, Fishburn P, Foley M, Franck M, Giam I, Gordillo P, Lilleyman A, Macauley R, Maher J, McPhee E, Reid M, Shirlaw B, Siggs G, Spark R, Stretch J, van den Heever K, van Rensburg T, Watson C, Kittler H, Rosendahl C
- Issue date: 2021 Nov