The prevalence of adrenal incidentaloma in routine clinical practice.
Win, Htet Htet N
Thompson, Christopher J
AffiliationDepartment of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Medical School, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9, Ireland. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEndocrine. 2011 Aug;40(1):80-3. Epub 2011 Mar 10.
AbstractThe prevalence of adrenal incidentaloma (AI) on computed tomography (CT) in the general population has been reported to be as high as 4.2%. However, many of the previous studies in this field utilised a prospective approach with analysis of CT scans performed by one or more radiologists with a specialist interest in adrenal tumours and a specific focus on identifying the presence of an adrenal mass. A typical radiology department, with a focus on the patient's presenting complaint as opposed to the adrenal gland, may not be expected to diagnose as many adrenal incidentalomas as would be identified in a dedicated research protocol. We hypothesised that the number of AI reported in routine clinical practice is significantly lower than the published figures would suggest. We retrospectively reviewed the reports of all CT thorax and abdomen scans performed in our hospital over a 2 year period. 3,099 patients underwent imaging, with 3,705 scans performed. The median age was 63 years (range 18-98). Thirty-seven true AI were diagnosed during the time period studied. Twenty-two were diagnosed by CT abdomen (22/2,227) and 12 by CT thorax (12/1,478), a prevalence of 0.98 and 0.81% with CT abdomen and thorax, respectively, for AI in routine clinical practice.
- Low investigation rate for adrenal incidentalomas.
- Authors: Bujawansa S, Bowen-Jones D
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- [Prevalence of adrenal incidentaloma at computed tomography (chest and abdominal) in a general hospital in Brazil].
- Authors: Ferreira EV, Czepielewski MA, Faccin CS, Accordi MC, Furtado AP
- Issue date: 2005 Oct
- Radiology reporting of adrenal incidentalomas - who requires further testing?
- Authors: Paterson F, Theodoraki A, Amajuoyi A, Bouloux PM, Maclachlan J, Khoo B
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Adrenal incidentalomas: experience in a developing country.
- Authors: Bhargav PR, Mishra A, Agarwal G, Agarwal A, Verma AK, Mishra SK
- Issue date: 2008 Aug
- Prevalence of adrenal incidentaloma in a contemporary computerized tomography series.
- Authors: Bovio S, Cataldi A, Reimondo G, Sperone P, Novello S, Berruti A, Borasio P, Fava C, Dogliotti L, Scagliotti GV, Angeli A, Terzolo M
- Issue date: 2006 Apr