AffiliationEmergency Department, Beaumont Hospital, Beaumont Road, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationEmerg Med J. 2011 Jun 14.
JournalEmergency medicine journal : EMJ
AbstractObjectives This study was undertaken to assess the usefulness of senior emergency medicine specialists' review of all 'did not wait' (DNW) patients' triage notes and the recall of at-risk patients. Methods A prospective study of all DNW patients was performed from 1 January to 31 December 2008. Following a daily review of charts of those who failed to wait to be seen, those patients considered to be at risk of adverse outcome were contacted by the liaison team and advised to return. Data were gathered on all DNW patients on the Oracle database and interrogated using the Diver solution. Results 2872 (6.3%) of 45 959 patients did not wait to be seen. 107 (3.7%) were recalled on the basis of senior emergency medicine doctor review of the patients' triage notes. Variables found to be associated with increased likelihood of being recalled included triage category (p<0.001), male sex (p<0.004) and certain clinical presentations. The presenting complaints associated with being recalled were chest pain (p<0.001) and alcohol/drug overdose (p=0.001). 9.4% of DNW patients required admission following recall. Conclusion The systematic senior doctor review of triage notes led to 3.7% of patients who failed to wait being recalled. 9.4% of those recalled required acute admission. The daily review of DNW patients' triage notes and the recalling of at-risk patients is a valuable addition to our risk management strategy.
- DNW--"did not wait" or "demographic needing work": a study of the profile of patients who did not wait to be seen in an Irish emergency department.
- Authors: Gilligan P, Joseph D, Winder S, Keeffe FO, Oladipo O, Ayodele T, Asuquo Q, O'Kelly P, Hegarty D
- Issue date: 2009 Nov
- Patient characteristics and institutional factors associated with those who "did not wait" at a South East Queensland Emergency Department: who are those who "did not wait" in ED?
- Authors: Melton N, Mitchell M, Crilly J, Cooke M
- Issue date: 2014 Feb
- Patients who leave without being seen in emergency departments: an analysis of predictive factors and outcomes.
- Authors: Tropea J, Sundararajan V, Gorelik A, Kennedy M, Cameron P, Brand CA
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- 'Did not waits': a regional Australian emergency department experience.
- Authors: Blake DF, Dissanayake DB, Hay RM, Brown LH
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Impact of rapid entry and accelerated care at triage on reducing emergency department patient wait times, lengths of stay, and rate of left without being seen.
- Authors: Chan TC, Killeen JP, Kelly D, Guss DA
- Issue date: 2005 Dec