Organising pneumonia associated with fumaric acid ester treatment for psoriasis.
AffiliationSt. Vincent's University Hospital, Respiratory Department, Dublin, Ireland.
Cryptogenic Organizing Pneumonia/diagnosis/drug therapy/*etiology
Fumarates/administration & dosage/*adverse effects
Lung Diseases/*chemically induced/diagnosis/drug therapy
Tomography, X-Ray Computed
MetadataShow full item record
CitationClin Respir J. 2010 Oct;4(4):248-51. doi: 10.1111/j.1752-699X.2009.00180.x.
JournalThe clinical respiratory journal
AbstractINTRODUCTION: We present the case of a 49-year old male who presented with dyspnoea, cough, weight loss, night sweats and general malaise. He had been on treatment with oral fumaric acid esters (FAE, Fumaderm(R); Biogen Idec GmbH, Ismaning, Germany) for 6 months. METHODS: Report of a case. RESULTS: His chest X-ray showed patchy infiltrates in the left upper lobe which failed to resolve under empiric antibiotic therapy. A computed tomography of thorax revealed bilateral, mostly peripheral foci of consolidation with air bronchograms. Transbronchial biopsies showed a pattern of organising pneumonia (OP). CONCLUSIONS: Therapy with oral prednisolone (40 mg/day) resulted in a rapid clinical and radiological improvement. An association of FAE and OP has not previously been reported. Please cite this paper as: Deegan AP, Kirby B, Rogers S, Crotty TB and McDonnell TJ. Organising pneumonia associated with fumaric acid ester treatment for psoriasis.
- Treatment of psoriasis with fumaric acid esters (Fumaderm).
- Authors: Mrowietz U, Altmeyer P, Bieber T, Röcken M, Schopf RE, Sterry W
- Issue date: 2007 Aug
- Proteinuria with fumaric acid ester treatment for psoriasis.
- Authors: Ogilvie S, Lewis Jones S, Dawe R, Foerster J
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Bronchiolitis obliterans organising pneumonia: a treatable condition.
- Authors: Hooi LN
- Issue date: 2005 Jun
- A female with dry cough, progressive dyspnoea and weight loss.
- Authors: Chee CB, Da Costa JL, Sim CS
- Issue date: 2005 Jan
- [Experimental treatment with fumaric acid monoethylester in psoriasis vulgaris].
- Authors: Dubiel W, Happle R
- Issue date: 1972 Jul 1