Purinergic receptor antagonists inhibit odorant-mediated CREB phosphorylation in sustentacular cells of mouse olfactory epithelium.
AffiliationDepartment of Molecular Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Beaumont , Hospital, Dublin, Ireland.
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBMC Neurosci. 2011 Aug 22;12:86.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Extracellular nucleotides have long been known to play neuromodulatory roles and to be involved in intercellular signalling. In the olfactory system, ATP is released by olfactory neurons, and exogenous ATP can evoke an increase in intracellular calcium concentration in sustentacular cells, the nonneuronal supporting cells of the olfactory epithelium. Here we investigate the hypothesis that olfactory neurons communicate with sustentacular cells via extracellular ATP and purinergic receptor activation. RESULTS: Here we show that exposure of mice to a mixture of odorants induced a significant increase in the levels of the transcription factor CREB phosphorylated at Ser-133 in the nuclei of both olfactory sensory neurons and sustentacular cells. This activation was dependent on adenylyl cyclase III-mediated olfactory signaling and on activation of P2Y purinergic receptors on sustentacular cells. Purinergic receptor antagonists inhibited odorant-dependent CREB phosphorylation specifically in the nuclei of the sustentacular cells. CONCLUSION: Our results point to a possible role for extracellular nucleotides in mediating intercellular communication between the neurons and sustentacular cells of the olfactory epithelium in response to odorant exposure. Maintenance of extracellular ionic gradients and metabolism of noxious chemicals by sustentacular cells may therefore be regulated in an odorant-dependent manner by olfactory sensory neurons.
- Activation of purinergic receptor subtypes modulates odor sensitivity.
- Authors: Hegg CC, Greenwood D, Huang W, Han P, Lucero MT
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 10
- Purinergic receptor antagonists inhibit odorant-induced heat shock protein 25 induction in mouse olfactory epithelium.
- Authors: Hegg CC, Lucero MT
- Issue date: 2006 Jan 15
- Calcium store-mediated signaling in sustentacular cells of the mouse olfactory epithelium.
- Authors: Hegg CC, Irwin M, Lucero MT
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 15
- Internalization of odorant-binding proteins into the mouse olfactory epithelium.
- Authors: Strotmann J, Breer H
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- [Remarks on the olfactory perception mechanism].
- Authors: Obrebowski A
- Issue date: 2002