AffiliationRoyal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown, Dublin,, 15, Ireland. email@example.com
*Education, Medical, Undergraduate
*Internship and Residency
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2011 Mar;180(1):211-4. Epub 2010 Aug 19.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractBACKGROUND: In recent years, rising numbers of medical students and an increasingly demanding clinical workload has put pressures on the educational systems for medical students in the hospital. Bedside teaching remains central to education, but tutorial delivery by registrars, tutors and consultants has proven to be increasingly difficult with the greater numbers of students now in the undergraduate system. AIMS: We have performed a pilot study to determine the feasibility of developing a Junior Tutor Programme, to assist in the delivery of tutorials to undergraduate medical students. METHODS: This was designed and delivered by interns under the supervision of the academic staff in the Departments of Medicine and Surgery in Connolly Hospital. The programme was evaluated by a questionnaire filled in by the students anonymously. RESULTS: A supervised programme of tutorials delivered by interns is a potentially useful way to ensure delivery of clinical teaching to undergraduate medical students.
- A mixed method, multiperspective evaluation of a near peer teaching programme.
- Authors: Lydon S, O'Connor P, Mongan O, Gorecka M, McVicker L, Stankard A, Byrne D
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Near-peer bedside clinical teaching: example of a successful programme.
- Authors: Woods R, Ramasubbu B, Donohoe C, Hennessy M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Undergraduate technical skills training guided by student tutors--analysis of tutors' attitudes, tutees' acceptance and learning progress in an innovative teaching model.
- Authors: Weyrich P, Schrauth M, Kraus B, Habermehl D, Netzhammer N, Zipfel S, Jünger J, Riessen R, Nikendei C
- Issue date: 2008 Apr 9
- Interns' knowledge of clinical pharmacology and therapeutics after undergraduate and on-going internship training in Nigeria: a pilot study.
- Authors: Oshikoya KA, Senbanjo IO, Amole OO
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 28
- Junior doctor-led 'near-peer' prescribing education for medical students.
- Authors: Gibson KR, Qureshi ZU, Ross MT, Maxwell SR
- Issue date: 2014 Jan