AffiliationCork Cancer Research Centre, Mercy University Hospital and Leslie C. Quick Jr., Laboratory, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland.
Bacteria/*genetics/growth & development
Bacterial Physiological Phenomena
Gene Transfer Techniques
MetadataShow full item record
CitationBioeng Bugs. 2010 Nov-Dec;1(6):385-94.
AbstractAnti-cancer therapy faces major challenges, particularly in terms of specificity of treatment. The ideal therapy would eradicate tumor cells selectively with minimum side effects on normal tissue. Gene or cell therapies have emerged as realistic prospects for the treatment of cancer, and involve the delivery of genetic information to a tumor to facilitate the production of therapeutic proteins. However, there is still much to be done before an efficient and safe gene medicine is achieved, primarily developing the means of targeting genes to tumors safely and efficiently. An emerging family of vectors involves bacteria of various genera. It has been shown that bacteria are naturally capable of homing to tumors when systemically administered resulting in high levels of replication locally. Furthermore, invasive species can deliver heterologous genes intra-cellularly for tumor cell expression. Here, we review the use of bacteria as vehicles for gene therapy of cancer, detailing the mechanisms of action and successes at preclinical and clinical levels.
- Bacterial vectors for imaging and cancer gene therapy: a review.
- Authors: Cronin M, Stanton RM, Francis KP, Tangney M
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- [Application of microorganisms as delivery vehicles in cancer gene therapies].
- Authors: Łepeta K, Łasica AM, Jagusztyn-Krynicka EK
- Issue date: 2012
- Bacterial systems for gene delivery to systemic tumors.
- Authors: Cummins J, Cronin M, van Pijkeren JP, Gahan CG, Tangney M
- Issue date: 2014
- Bacteria in cancer therapy: a novel experimental strategy.
- Authors: Patyar S, Joshi R, Byrav DS, Prakash A, Medhi B, Das BK
- Issue date: 2010 Mar 23
- Use of Bacteria in Cancer Therapy.
- Authors: Sarotra P, Medhi B
- Issue date: 2016