AffiliationDepartment of Neurology, Mercy University Hospital, Grenville Place, Cork,, Ireland. email@example.com
Liver Function Tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationIr J Med Sci. 2009 Sep;178(3):343-5. Epub 2008 Sep 24.
JournalIrish journal of medical science
AbstractINTRODUCTION: We report the case of a 53-year-old farmer with a 5-day history of severe headache, photophobia and neck stiffness. Full blood count (platelets 173), coagulation screen were normal throughout. Liver function tests remained normal apart from an elevated gamma-GT (156). CT Brain was normal. CSF analysis showed a WCC of 454/mm(3) (60% lymphocytes), elevated CSF protein (1.42 g/l) and a normal CSF glucose. He was commenced on IV antibiotics and IV acyclivor and improved. On day 3 of admission, he complained of a sudden severe headache, became unresponsive (GCS 3/15). INVESTIGATIONS: CT Brain showed a massive left intraventricular haemorrhage. He died 4 days later. Subsequent serum serology for leptospirosis was positive. A repeat sample taken 4 days post-admission, showed a rising IgM indicating active leptospirosis. Detailed pathological examination confirmed intracerebral haemorrhage with normal cerebral vasculature. CONCLUSION: Leptospirosis is a rare cause of intracerebral haemorrhage even in the absence of coagulopathy.
- Pearls and oy-sters: tuberculous meningitis: not a diagnosis of exclusion.
- Authors: Jongeling AC, Pisapia D
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 22
- Leptospirosis as an important differential of pulmonary haemorrhage on the intensive care unit: a case managed with VV-ECMO.
- Authors: Barnacle J, Gurney S, Ledot S, Singh S
- Issue date: 2020
- Co-existent facial palsy and myocarditis in a 50-year old farmer diagnosed with probable leptospirosis: a case report.
- Authors: Kumarihamy KW, Ralapanawa DM, Jayalath WA
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 4
- Therapeutic dilemma in a case of acute coronary syndrome (ACS).
- Authors: Bhat S, D'Souza A, Fernandes D, Rajan G
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 28
- Fatal co-infection with leptospirosis and dengue in a Sri Lankan male.
- Authors: Wijesinghe A, Gnanapragash N, Ranasinghe G, Ragunathan MK
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 13