Targeting of breast metastases using a viral gene vector with tumour-selective transcription.
van Pijkeren, Jan P
O'Sullivan, Gerald C
AffiliationCork Cancer Research Centre, Mercy University Hospital, Cork, Ireland.
Gene Transfer Techniques
Genetic Vectors/*administration & dosage
Promoter Regions, Genetic
Tumor Cells, Cultured
MetadataShow full item record
CitationAnticancer Res. 2011 May;31(5):1627-35.
AbstractBACKGROUND: Adeno-associated virus (AAV) vectors have significant potential as gene delivery vectors for cancer gene therapy. However, broad AAV2 tissue tropism results in nonspecific gene expression. MATERIALS AND METHODS: We investigated use of the C-X-C chemokine receptor type 4 (CXCR4) promoter to restrict AAV expression to tumour cells, in subcutaneous MCF-7 xenograft mouse models of breast cancer and in patient samples, using bioluminescent imaging and flow cytometric analysis. RESULTS: Higher transgene expression levels were observed in subcutaneous MCF-7 tumours relative to normal tissue (muscle) using the CXCR4 promoter, unlike a ubiquitously expressing Cytomegalovirus promoter construct, with preferential AAVCXCR4 expression in epithelial tumour and CXCR4-positive cells. Transgene expression following intravenously administered AAVCXCR4 in a model of liver metastasis was detected specifically in livers of tumour bearing mice. Ex vivo analysis using patient samples also demonstrated higher AAVCXCR4 expression in tumour compared with normal liver tissue. CONCLUSION: This study demonstrates for the first time, the potential for systemic administration of AAV2 vector for tumour-selective gene therapy.
- Improved cardiac gene transfer by transcriptional and transductional targeting of adeno-associated viral vectors.
- Authors: Müller OJ, Leuchs B, Pleger ST, Grimm D, Franz WM, Katus HA, Kleinschmidt JA
- Issue date: 2006 Apr 1
- Suppression of cancer growth in mice by adeno-associated virus vector-mediated IFN-beta expression driven by hTERT promoter.
- Authors: He LF, Wang YG, Xiao T, Zhang KJ, Li GC, Gu JF, Chu L, Tang WH, Tan WS, Liu XY
- Issue date: 2009 Dec 28
- Transcriptional targeting of adenoviral vector through the CXCR4 tumor-specific promoter.
- Authors: Zhu ZB, Makhija SK, Lu B, Wang M, Kaliberova L, Liu B, Rivera AA, Nettelbeck DM, Mahasreshti PJ, Leath CA 3rd, Yamamoto M, Alvarez RD, Curiel DT
- Issue date: 2004 Apr
- Receptor targeting of adeno-associated virus vectors.
- Authors: Büning H, Ried MU, Perabo L, Gerner FM, Huttner NA, Enssle J, Hallek M
- Issue date: 2003 Jul
- Inhibition of ovarian cancer metastasis by adeno-associated virus-mediated gene transfer of nm23H1 in an orthotopic implantation model.
- Authors: Li J, Zhou J, Chen G, Wang H, Wang S, Xing H, Gao Q, Lu Y, He Y, Ma D
- Issue date: 2006 Mar